Dental and Medical Problems
2020, vol. 57, nr 2, April-June, p. 197–206
Publication type: review article
Clinical outcomes of lithium disilicate glass-ceramic crowns fabricated with CAD/CAM technology: A systematic review
Ocena kliniczna koron szklano-ceramicznych z dwukrzemianu litu wytwarzanych w technologii CAD/CAM – systematyczny przegląd piśmiennictwa
1 Department of Preventive and Restorative Dentistry, College of Dental Medicine, University of Sharjah, UAE
2 Department of Restorative Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Toronto, Canada
3 Private practice, Toronto, Canada
The use of ceramic materials and the computer-aided design/computer-aided manufacturing (CAD/CAM) technology for the fabrication of complete-coverage restorations has significantly increased in the last decade. The aim of this study was to evaluate the survival rate of anterior and posterior monolithic and bilayered lithium disilicate glass-ceramic (LDGC) CAD/CAM crowns, and to identify the types of complications associated with the main clinical outcomes reported in clinical trials. MEDLINE/PubMed, Embase, Scopus, Web of Science, Cochrane Library, and ClinicalTrials.gov were searched by 2 independent reviewers for clinical studies published between 2006 and 2019, following the Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses (PRISMA) statement. The electronic search was supplemented by a hand search. Quality assessment for the included studies was performed. Qualitative and quantitative data was extracted from each study. Out of 219 studies, 6 studies that evaluated LDGC CAD/CAM crowns were identified and used for data extraction. The included studies had 154 participants, who received 204 crowns. The shortto medium-term survival and success rates were high. Biological complications occurred more frequently than technical complications. No esthetic complications were reported. This review indicated that the medium-term survival rate of LDGC CAD/CAM crowns was high. Further multicenter studies with longer follow-ups and larger sample sizes are needed in order to augment the data already in existence.
survival, glass-ceramic, prosthodontics, dental porcelain, computer-aided design/computeraided manufacturing
przetrwanie, szklano-ceramiczne, protetyka stomatologiczna, ceramika stomatologiczna, komputerowo wspomagane projektowanie i produkcja
- Fasbinder DJ, Dennison JB, Heys D, Neiva G. A clinical evaluation of chairside lithium disilicate CAD/CAM crowns: A two-year report. J Am Dent Assoc. 2010;141(Suppl 2):S10–S14.
- Reich S, Fischer S, Sobotta B, Klapper HU, Gozdowski S. A preliminary study on the short-term efficacy of chairside computer-aided design/computer-assisted manufacturing-generated posterior lithium disilicate crowns. Int J Prosthodont. 2010;23(3):214–216.
- Cortellini D, Canale A. Bonding lithium disilicate ceramic to feather-edge tooth preparations: A minimally invasive treatment concept. J Adhes Dent. 2012;14(1):7–10.
- Seydler B, Schmitter M. Clinical performance of two different CAD/CAM-fabricated ceramic crowns: 2-year results. J Prosthet Dent. 2015;114(2):212–216.
- Rauch A, Reich S, Dalchau L, Schierz O. Clinical survival of chair-side generated monolithic lithium disilicate crowns: 10-year results. Clin Oral Investig. 2018;22(4):1763–1769.
- Reich S, Schierz O. Chair-side generated posterior lithium disilicate crowns after 4 years. Clin Oral Investig. 2013;17(7):1765–1772.
- Rauch A, Reich S, Schierz O. Chair-side generated posterior monolithic lithium disilicate crowns: Clinical survival after 6 years. Clin Oral Investig. 2017;21(6):2083–2089.
- Akın A, Toksavul S, Toman M. Clinical marginal and internal adaptation of maxillary anterior single all-ceramic crowns and 2-year randomized controlled clinical trial. J Prosthodont. 2015;24(5):345–350.
- Aziz A, El-Mowafy O, Tenenbaum HC, Lawrence HP, Shokati B. Clinical performance of chairside lithium disilicate glass-ceramic CAD-CAM crowns. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2019;31(6):613–619.
- Giordano R. Materials for chairside CAD/CAM-produced restorations. J Am Dent Assoc. 2006;137(Suppl):14S–21S.
- Poticny DJ, Klim J. CAD/CAM in-office technology: Innovations after 25 years for predictable, esthetic outcomes. J Am Dent Assoc. 2010;141(Suppl 2):5S–9S.
- Wolfart S, Eschbach S, Scherrer S, Kern M. Clinical outcome of three-unit lithium-disilicate glass-ceramic fixed dental prostheses: Up to 8 years results. Dent Mater. 2009;25(9):e63–e71.
- Etman MK, Woolford MJ. Three-year clinical evaluation of two ceramic crown systems: A preliminary study. J Prosthet Dent. 2010;103(2):80–90.
- Duret F, Preston JD. CAD/CAM imaging in dentistry. Curr Opin Dent. 1991;1(2):150–154.
- Guess PC, Schultheis S, Bonfante EA, Coelho PG, Ferencz JL, Silva NRFA. All-ceramic systems: Laboratory and clinical performance. Dent Clin North Am. 2011;55(2):333–352.
- Bindl A, Lüthy H, Mörmann WH. Thin-wall ceramic CAD/CAM crown copings: Strength and fracture pattern. J Oral Rehabil. 2006;33(7):520–528.
- Coelho Santos G Jr, Moraes Coelho Santos MJ Jr, Rizkalla AS, Madani DA, El-Mowafy O. Overview of CEREC CAD/CAM chairside system. Gen Dent. 2013;61(1):36–40;quiz 41.
- Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J, Altman DG; PRISMA Group. Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: The PRISMA statement. PLoS Med. 2009;6(7):e1000097.
- Hayashi M, Wilson NHF, Yeung CA, Worthington HV. Systematic review of ceramic inlays. Clin Oral Investig. 2003;7(1):8–19.
- Patel DR, O’Brien T, Petrie A, Petridis H. A systematic review of outcome measurements and quality of studies evaluating fixed tooth-supported restorations. J Prosthodont. 2014;23(6):421–433.
- Pjetursson BE, Sailer I, Zwahlen M, Hämmerle CH. A systematic review of the survival and complication rates of all-ceramic and metal-ceramic reconstructions after an observation period of at least 3 years. Part I: Single crowns. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2007;18(Suppl 3):73–85.
- Matta RE, Schmitt J, Wichmann M, Holst S. Circumferential fit assessment of CAD/CAM single crowns – a pilot investigation on a new virtual analytical protocol. Quintessence Int. 2012;43(9):801–809.
- Sailer I, Makarov NA, Thoma DS, Zwahlen M, Pjetursson BE. All-ceramic or metal-ceramic tooth-supported fixed dental prostheses (FDPs)? A systematic review of the survival and complication rates. Part I: Single crowns (SCs). Dent Mater. 2015;31(6):603–623.