Dental and Medical Problems
2020, vol. 57, nr 2, April-June, p. 191–196
Publication type: original article
In vivo evaluation of the impact of various border molding materials and techniques on the retention of complete maxillary dentures
Ocena in vivo wpływu różnych materiałów i technik uszczelnienia brzeżnego na utrzymanie protez całkowitych w szczęce
1 Department of Prosthodontics, College of Dentistry, Mustansiriyah University, Baghdad, Iraq
Background. Different techniques and impression materials are employed in the process of fabricating complete denture (CD) bases.
Objectives. The aim of this study was to determine differences in the denture base retention for acrylic maxillary CDs when using 2 different techniques and impression materials. Specifically, the green stick compound impression material was used for the sectional border molding technique and this was compared to using the addition vinyl silicone impression material with the single-step technique.
Material and Methods. A crossover study was conducted on 10 participants who were completely edentulous in the upper arch (6 men and 4 women), aged 43–70 years. The participants’ trays were split into 2 treatment groups: the P-group; and the Z-group. Addition vinyl silicone was used for single-step border molding in the P-group, followed by light-body final-wash impression. For the Z-group, the green stick compound was used for sectional border molding, followed by a final wash using a zinc oxideeugenol material.To quantify the retention force of the denture base in kilograms-force, a digital force gauge was used.
Results. The measurements indicated significantly higher mean retention values (p = 0.000) in the P‑group (4.02 ±1.66 kgf) as compared to the Z‑group (1.48 ±0.90 kgf).
Conclusion. The results suggest the superiority of using the single-step border molding technique in the upper arch with the addition vinyl silicone material owing to the enhanced base retention of the acrylic denture base.
complete denture, dental impression technique, prosthesis retention
proteza całkowita, technika wycisku stomatologicznego, utrzymanie protezy
- Allen PF, McMillan AS. A longitudinal study of quality of life outcomes in older adults requesting implant prostheses and complete removable dentures. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2003;14(2):173–179.
- Gotfredsen K, Walls AWG. What dentition assures oral function? Clin Oral Implants Res. 2007;18(Suppl 3):34–45.
- Papadiochou S, Emmanouil I, Papadiochos I. Denture adhesives: A systematic review. J Prosthet Dent. 2015;113(5):391–397.e2.
- Rao S, Chowdhary R, Mahoorkar S. A systematic review of impression technique for conventional complete denture. J Indian Prosthodont Soc. 2010;10(2):105–111.
- Petrie CS, Walker MP, Williams K. A survey of U.S. prosthodontists and dental schools on the current materials and methods for final impressions for complete denture prosthodontics. J Prosthodont. 2005;14(4):253–262.
- Boucher CO. Complete denture impressions based upon the anatomy of the mouth. J Am Dent Assoc. 1944;31(17):1174–1181.
- Davis DM. Developing an analogue/substitute for the maxillary denture-bearing area. In: Zarb GA, Bolender CL, Eckert SE, et al., eds. Prosthodontic Treatment for Edentulous Patients: Complete Dentures and Implant-Supported Prostheses. 12th ed. St. Louis, USA: Mosby; 2004:211–231.
- The glossary of prosthodontic terms: Ninth edition. J Prosthet Dent. 2017;117(5S):e1–e105.
- Woelfel JB, Hickey JC, Berg T Jr. Contour variations in one patient’s impressions made by seven dentists. J Am Dent Assoc. 1963;67:1–9.
- Smith DE, Toolson LB, Bolender CL, Lord JL. One-step border molding of complete denture impressions using a polyether impression material. J Prosthet Dent. 1979;41(3):347–351.
- Friedman S. Edentulous impression procedures for maximum retention and stability. J Prosthet Dent. 1957;7(1):14–26.
- Chaffee NR, Cooper LF, Felton DA. A technique for border molding edentulous impressions using vinyl polysiloxane material. J Prosthodont. 1999;8(2):129–134.
- Solomon EGR. Single stage silicone border molded closed mouth impression technique – part II. J Indian Prosthodont Soc. 2011;11(3):183.
- Ye Y, Sun J. Simplified complete denture: A systematic review of the literature. J Prosthodont. 2017;26(4):267–274.
- Marxkors R. Die Funktionsabformung. Dtsch Zahnarztl Z. 1970;25:58–63.
- Medeiros Ribeiro JA, Bastos Machado de Resende CM, Correia Lopes AL, Mestriner W Jr, Roncalli AG, Farias-Neto A, da Fonte Porto Carreiro A. Evaluation of complete denture quality and masticatory efficiency in denture wearers. Int J Prosthodont. 2012;25(6):625–630.
- Raftu G, Sin EC, Leon A, Caraiane A, Buștiuc SG. The clinical and statistical study on the quality of complete acrlylic dentures. Rom J Oral Rehabil. 2019;11(1):116–120.
- Giglio JJ, Lace WP, Arden H. Factors affecting retention and stability of complete dentures. J Prosthet Dent. 1962;12(5):848–856.
- Pachar RB, Singla Y, Kumar P. Evaluation and comparison of the effect of different border molding materials on complete denture retention: An in vivo study. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2018;19(8):982–987.
- Anusavice KJ, Shen C, Rawls HR, eds. Phillips’ Science of Dental Materials. 11th ed. St. Louis, USA: Saunders; 2003:177–178.
- Jayaram B, Shenoy KK. Analysis of mandibular ridge resorption in completely edentulous patients using digital panoramic radiography. J Dent Med Sci. 2017;16:66–73.
- Nishimura I, Hosokawa R, Kaplan ML, Atwood DA. Animal model for evaluating the effect of systemic estrogen deficiency on residual ridge resorption. J Prosthet Dent. 1995;73(3):304–310.
- Khuder T, Yunus N, Sulaiman E, Ibrahim N, Khalid T, Masood M. Association between occlusal force distribution in implant overdenture prostheses and residual ridge resorption. J Oral Rehabil. 2017;44(5):398–404.
- Gupta R, Luthra RP, Mehta S. Comparative analysis of two border molding techniques and materials on maxillary complete denture retention – an in-vivo study. J Adv Med Dent Scie Res. 2015;3(4):109–112.
- Tasleem R, Bin Saeed MH, Javed MU. Comparison of complete denture fabricated by two different border molding materials, in terms of patients’satisfaction. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad. 2013;25(3–4):78–80.
- Qanungo A, Aras MA, Chitre V, Coutinho I, Rajagopal P, Mysore A. Comparative evaluation of border molding using two different techniques in maxillary edentulous arches: A clinical study. J Indian Prosthodont Soc. 2016;16(4):340–345.