Dental and Medical Problems
2020, vol. 57, nr 2, April-June, p. 171–175
Publication type: original article
Association of ankylosing spondylitis with radiographically and clinically diagnosed apical periodontitis: A cross-sectional study
Związek zesztywniającego zapalenia stawów kręgosłupa z zapaleniem tkanek okołowierzchołkowych rozpoznawanym radiologicznie i klinicznie – badanie przekrojowe
1 Department of Endodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Atatürk University, Erzurum, Turkey
2 Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Faculty of Medicine, Atatürk University, Erzurum, Turkey
Background. There are no studies evaluating the possible association between ankylosing spondylitis (AS) and apical periodontitis (AP).
Objectives. The aim of the present cross-sectional study was to investigate the possible association between AS and AP.
Material and Methods. Fifty patients diagnosed with AS, receiving treatment at the Rheumatology Clinic in Erzurum, Turkey, were included in the experimental group. Another 50 ageand gender-matched individuals without any history of systemic disease were included in the study as the control group. All patients were examined radiographically and clinically to diagnose the presence of AP. The following data was recorded for all patients: the smoking habit, the number of teeth present, the number of teeth with AP, the number of root canal-treated (RCT) teeth, and the number of RCT teeth with AP.
Results. There were 1,283 teeth in the AS group and 1,305 in the control group. There was a significant association between teeth with AP and AS, as the prevalence of teeth with AP was significantly lower in the control group (1.3%) than in the AS group (2.9%) (OR (odds ratio) = 2.250; p = 0.005). There was no statistically significant difference between the groups in terms of the number of RCT teeth and RCT teeth with AP (p > 0.05).
Conclusion. Ankylosing spondylitis is significantly associated with an increased prevalence of AP. It can be concluded that patients with AS can be more prone to develop AP. However, AS does not reduce the success rate of endodontic treatment, because there was no significant difference between the AS and control groups in terms of RCT teeth with AP.
ankylosing spondylitis, apical periodontitis, endodontics
zesztywniające zapalenie stawów kręgosłupa, zapalenie tkanek okołowierzchołkowych, endodoncja
- Braun J, Bollow M, Remlinger G, et al. Prevalence of spondylarthropathies in HLA-B27 positive and negative blood donors. Arthritis Rheum. 1998;41(1):58–67.
- Reveille JD, Weisman MH. The epidemiology of back pain, axial spondyloarthritis and HLA-B27 in the United States. Am J Med Sci. 2013;345(6):431–436.
- Braun J, Sieper J. Ankylosing spondylitis. Lancet. 2007;369(9570):1379–1390.
- Bal A, Unlu E, Bahar G, Aydog E, Eksioglu E, Yorgancioglu R. Comparison of serum IL-1 beta, sIL-2R, IL-6, and TNF-alpha levels with disease activity parameters in ankylosing spondylitis. Clin Rheumatol. 2007;26(2):211–215.
- Márton IJ, Kiss C. Overlapping protective and destructive regulatory pathways in apical periodontitis. J Endod. 2014;40(2):155–163.
- Gomes MS, Blattner TC, Sant’Ana Filho M, et al. Can apical periodontitis modify systemic levels of inflammatory markers? A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Endod. 2013;39(10):1205–1217.
- Sirin DA, Ozcelik F, Uzun C, Ersahan S, Yesilbas S. Association between C-reactive protein, neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio and the burden of apical periodontitis: A case-control study. Acta Odontol Scand. 2019;77(2):142–149.
- Keller JJ, Kang JH, Lin HC. Association between ankylosing spondylitis and chronic periodontitis: A population-based study. Arthritis Rheum. 2013;65(1):167–173.
- Pischon N, Pischon T, Gülmez E, et al. Periodontal disease in patients with ankylosing spondylitis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2010;69(1):34–38.
- Orstavik D, Kerekes K, Eriksen HM. The periapical index: A scoring system for radiographic assessment of apical periodontitis. Endod Dent Traumatol. 1986;2(1):20–34.
- López-López J, Jané-Salas E, Estrugo-Devesa A, Velasco-Ortega E, Martín-González J, Segura-Egea JJ. Periapical and endodontic status of type 2 diabetic patients in Catalonia, Spain: A cross-sectional study. J Endod. 2011;37(5):598–601.
- Jalali P, Glickman GN, Schneiderman ED, Schweitzer JL. Prevalence of periapical rarefying osteitis in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. J Endod. 2017;43(7):1093–1096.
- Cantrell DA, Smith KA. The interleukin-2 T-cell system: A new cell growth model. Science. 1984;224(4655):1312–1316.
- Brandt C, Pedersen BK. The role of exercise-induced myokines in muscle homeostasis and the defense against chronic diseases. J Biomed Biotechnol. 2010;2010:520258.
- Santos SCLT, Couto LA, Fonseca JM, et al. Participation of osteoclastogenic factors in immunopathogenesis of human chronic periapical lesions. J Oral Pathol Med. 2017;46(9):846–852.
- Liu HC, Hsieh KH. Elevated serum interleukin-2 receptor; increased in vitro immunoglobulin synthesis and lack of response to testosterone-enhanced in vitro interleukin-2 production in ankylosing spondylitis. Zhonghua Min Guo Wei Sheng Wu Ji Mian Yi Xue Za Zhi. 1987;20(1):1–8.
- Cotti E, Mezzena S, Schirru E, et al. Healing of apical periodontitis in patients with inflammatory bowel diseases and under anti-tumor necrosis factor alpha therapy. J Endod. 2018;44(12):1777–1782.
- Khalighinejad N, Aminoshariae A, Kulild JC, Sahly K, Mickel A. Association of end-stage renal disease with radiographically and clinically diagnosed apical periodontitis: A hospital-based study. J Endod. 2017;43(9):1438–1441.
- Costa TH, de Figueiredo Neto JA, de Oliveira AE, Lopes e Maia Mde F, de Almeida AL. Association between chronic apical periodontitis and coronary artery disease. J Endod. 2014;40(2):164–167.