Dental and Medical Problems
2020, vol. 57, nr 1, January-March, p. 67–72
Publication type: original article
Evaluation of osteoarthritic changes in the temporomandibular joint and their correlations with age: A retrospective CBCT study
Ocena zmian kostno-stawowych w stawie skroniowo-żuchwowym i ich związków z wiekiem – retrospektywne badanie CBCT
1 Department of Dentomaxillofacial Radiology, Faculty of Dentistry, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
Background. Cone-beam computed tomography (CBCT) enables the radiographic examination and evaluation of osseous changes in the temporomandibular joint (TMJ).
Objectives. The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence of various bony changes in TMJ in patients from a wide age range as well as to evaluate the CBCT findings of TMJ osteoarthritis (OA) and correlate them with age.
Material and Methods. The study included the CBCT images of 150 patients (43 males and 107 females) who were refferred to the Department of Dentomaxillofacial Radiology for the evaluation of TMJs. Each TMJ was evaluated separately for the presence of any osseous changes in the condylar head or articular fossa/eminence, and for joint space narrowing.
Results. The mean age of the sample was 37.26 years (range: 10–90 years). A total of 101 (67.3%) patients presented 1 or more osseous changes. No significant differences were found between the right and left TMJs concerning the prevalence rates of osseous changes. Significant differences were found in the mean ages with regard to the absence and presence of the following findings: condylar erosion, osteophytes, loose bodies, erosion in the articular fossa, and joint space narrowing.
Conclusion. Degenerative changes in TMJ may reflect an age-related bone remodeling process. Older patients may have more common findings of OA, such as condylar and articular erosion, osteophytes, loose joint bodies, and joint space narrowing.
osteoarthritis, cone-beam computed tomography, temporomandibular joint
choroba zwyrodnieniowa stawów, komputerowa tomografia stożkowa, staw skroniowo-żuchwowy
- Okeson JP. Management of Temporomandibular Disorders and Occlusion. 7th ed. St. Louis, MO: Mosby; 2014:155.
- Ahmad M, Hollender L, Anderson Q, et al. Research diagnostic criteria for temporomandibular disorders (RDC/TMD): Development of image analysis criteria and examiner reliability for image analysis. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2009;107(6):844–860.
- Schmitter M, Essig M, Seneadza V, Balke Z, Schröder J, Rammelsberg P. Prevalence of clinical and radiographic signs of osteoarthrosis of the temporomandibular joint in an older persons community. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2010;39(4):231–234.
- Barghan S, Tetradis S, Mallya S. Application of cone beam computed tomography for assessment of the temporomandibular joints. Aust Dent J. 2012;57(Suppl 1):109–118.
- Honda K, Larheim TA, Maruhashi K, Matsumoto K, Iwai K. Osseous abnormalities of the mandibular condyle: Diagnostic reliability of cone beam computed tomography compared with helical computed tomography based on an autopsy material. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2006;35(3):152–157.
- Larheim TA, Abrahamsson AK, Kristensen M, Arvidsson LZ. Temporomandibular joint diagnostics using CBCT. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2015;44(1):20140235.
- Ferreira LA, Grossmann E, Januzzi E, de Paula MV, Carvalho AC. Diagnosis of temporomandibular joint disorders: Indication of imaging exams. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol. 2016;82(3):341–352.
- Dworkin SF, LeResche L. Research diagnostic criteria for temporomandibular disorders: Review, criteria, examinations and specifications, critique. J Craniomandib Disord. 1992;6(4):301–355.
- Alexiou K, Stamatakis H, Tsiklakis K. Evaluation of the severity of temporomandibular joint osteoarthritic changes related to age using cone beam computed tomography. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2009;38(3):141–147.
- Gynther GW, Tronje G, Holmlund AB. Radiographic changes in the temporomandibular joint in patients with generalized osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 1996;81(5):613–618.
- Kiliç SC, Kiliç N, Sümbüllü MA. Temporomandibular joint osteoarthritis: Cone beam computed tomography findings, clinical features, and correlations. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2015;44(10):1268–1274.
- Hintze H, Wiese M, Wenzel A. Cone beam CT and conventional tomography for the detection of morphological temporomandibular joint changes. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2007;36(4):192–197.
- Honey OB, Scarfe WC, Hilgers MJ, et al. Accuracy of cone-beam computed tomography imaging of the temporomandibular joint: Comparisons with panoramic radiology and linear tomography. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2007;132(4):429–438.
- Mah P, Reeves TE, McDavid WD. Deriving Hounsfield units using grey levels in cone beam computed tomography. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2010;39(6):323–335.
- Patel A, Tee BC, Fields H, Jones E, Chaudhry J, Sun Z. Evaluation of cone-beam computed tomography in the diagnosis of simulated small osseous defects in the mandibular condyle. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2014;145(2):143–156.
- Librizzi ZT, Tadinada AS, Valiyaparambil JV, Lurie AG, Mallya SM. Cone-beam computed tomography to detect erosions of the temporomandibular joint: Effect of field of view and voxel size on diagnostic efficacy and effective dose. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2011;140(1):e25–e30.
- Palconet G, Ludlow JB, Tyndall DA, Lim PF. Correlating cone beam CT results with temporomandibular joint pain of osteoarthritic origin. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2012;41(2):126–130.
- dos Anjos Pontual ML, Freire JSL, Barbosa JMN, Frazão MAG, dos Anjos Pontual A, Fonseca da Silveira MM. Evaluation of bone changes in the temporomandibular joint using cone beam CT. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2012;41(1):24–29.
- Campos MI, Campos PS, Cangussu MC, Guimarães RC, Line SR. Analysis of magnetic resonance imaging characteristics and pain in temporomandibular joints with and without degenerative changes of the condyle. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2008;37(6):529–534.
- Yasuoka T, Nakashima M, Okuda T, Tatematsu N. Effect of estrogen replacement on temporomandibular joint remodeling in ovariectomized rats. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2000;58(2):189–197.
- Chang MS, Choi JH, Yang IH, An JS, Heo MS, Ahn SJ. Relationships between temporomandibular joint disk displacements and condylar volume. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2018;125(2):192–198.
- Alkhader M, Ohbayashi N, Tetsumura A, et al. Diagnostic performance of magnetic resonance imaging for detecting osseous abnormalities of the temporomandibular joint and its correlation with cone beam computed tomography. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2010;39(5):270–276.
- Zhao YP, Zhang ZY, Wu YT, Zhang WL, Ma XC. Investigation of the clinical and radiographic features of osteoarthrosis of the temporomandibular joints in adolescents and young adults. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2011;111(2):e27–e34.
- Walewski LÂ, Tolentino ES, Yamashita FC, Iwaki LCV, da Silva MC. Cone-beam computed tomography study of osteoarthritic alterations in the osseous components of temporomandibular joints in asymptomatic patients according to skeletal pattern, gender, and age. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2019;128(1):70–77.
- Al-Ekrish AA, Al-Juhani HO, Alhaidari RI, Alfaleh WM. Comparative study of the prevalence of temporomandibular joint osteoarthritic changes in cone beam computed tomograms of patients with or without temporomandibular disorder. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2015;120(1):78–85.
- Massilla Mani FM, Sivasubramanian SS. A study of temporomandibular joint osteoarthritis using computed tomographic imaging. Biomed J. 2016;39(3):201–206.
- Nah KS. Condylar bony changes in patients with temporomandibular disorders: A CBCT study. Imaging Sci Dent. 2012;42(4):249–253.
- Wiese M, Svensson P, Bakke M, et al. Association between temporomandibular joint symptoms, signs, and clinical diagnosis using the RDC/TMD and radiographic findings in temporomandibular joint tomograms. J Orofac Pain. 2008;22(3):239–251.
- Li G, Yin J, Gao J, et al. Subchondral bone in osteoarthritis: Insight into risk factors and microstructural changes. Arthritis Res Ther. 2013;15(6):223.