Dental and Medical Problems
2019, vol. 56, nr 1, January-March, p. 67–74
Publication type: original article
Evaluation of the effect of storage time and disinfectant solutions on the dimensional accuracy of impression materials with digital radiography
Ocena wpływu czasu przechowywania oraz roztworów odkażających na wierność odtwarzania kształtu przez materiały wyciskowe z użyciem radiografii cyfrowej
1 Department of Prosthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Atatürk University, Erzurum, Turkey
2 Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology, Faculty of Dentistry, Karabük University, Turkey
Background. The dimensional accuracy of impression materials has been evaluated for a long time, but thus far, digital radiography has not been used for this purpose. The dimensional accuracy of impression materials is very important for the final adaptation of dental prostheses.
Objectives. The objective of this study was to evaluate the effects of different disinfectant solutions and storage times on the dimensional stability of different impression materials by means of digital radiography.
Material and Methods. Polyether (PE), hydrocolloid (IH), condensation silicone (CS), and addition silicone (AS) materials were used for preparing impressions, taken from an acrylic master model with 2 vertical and 2 horizontal reference points. Water (W), sodium hypochlorite (SH) and a disinfectant solution without aldehyde (Z) were applied on the impressions. Half of the impressions were poured over immediately and half of them – 1 day after. Digital radiography was used to determine the dimensional accuracy of the impression materials. The data was analyzed with a variance analysis and Tukey’s multiple comparison test.
Results. While PE showed the smallest dimensional changes, IH showed the greatest in all lines. Applying SH and pouring 1 day after caused the greatest dimensional changes in all impression materials.
Conclusion. Different disinfectant solutions and storage times had a different effect on the impressions, but the dimensional changes were clinically acceptable.
dimensional accuracy, storage time, impression material, digital radiography, disinfection solution
wierność odtwarzania kształtu, czas przechowywania, materiał wyciskowy, radiografia cyfrowa, roztwór odkażający
- Markovic D, Puskar T, Hadzistevic M, Potran M, Blazic L, Hodolic J. The dimensional stability of elastomeric dental impression materials. Contemp Mater. 2012;III-1:105–110.
- Stober T, Johnson GH, Schmitter M. Accuracy of the newly formulated vinyl siloxanether elastomeric impression materials. J Prosthet Dent. 2010;103(4):228–239.
- Hamalian TA, Nasr E, Chidiac JJ. Impression materials in fixed prosthodontics: Influence of choice on clinical procedure. J Prosthodont. 2011;20(2):153–160.
- Piwowarczyk A, Ottl P, Büchler A, Lauer HC, Hoffmann A. In vitro study of dimensional accuracy of selected materials for monophase elastic impression making. Int J Prosthodont. 2002;15(2):168–174.
- Johnson GH. Impression materials. In: Craig RG, Powers JM, eds. Restorative Dental Materials. 11th ed. St. Louis, MO: Mosby; 2001:348–368.
- Khinnavar PK, Dhanya Kumar BH, Nandeeshwar DB. An in vitro study to evaluate the effect on dimensional changes of elastomers during cold sterilization. J Indian Prosthodont Soc. 2015;15(2):131–137.
- McCabe JF, Storer R. Elastomeric impression materials. The measurement of some properties relevant to clinical practice. Br Dent J. 1980;149:73–79.
- Memarian M, Fazeli MR, Jamalifar H, Azimnejad A. Disinfection efficiency of irreversible hydrocolloid impressions using different concentrations of sodium hypochlorite: A pilot study. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2007;8(4):27–34.
- Revised American Dental Association Specification no. 19 for Non-aqueous, Elastomeric Dental Impressions. J Am Dent Assoc. 1977;94(4):733–741.
- Zilberman O, Huggare JA, Parikakis KA. Evaluation of the validity of tooth size and arch width measurements using conventional and three-dimensional virtual orthodontic models. Angle Orthod. 2003;73(3):301–306.
- Nicholls JI. The measurement of distortion: Theoretical considerations. J Prosthet Dent. 1977;37(5):578–586.
- Coleman RM, Hembree JH Jr, Weber FN. Dimensional stability of irreversible hydrocolloid impression material. Am J Orthod. 1979;75(4):438–446.
- Anseth KS, Bowman CN, Brannon-Peppas L. Mechanical properties of hydrogels and their experimental determination. Biomaterials. 1996;17(17):1647–1657.
- Alkurt M, Duymuş ZY, Dedeoglu N. Investigation of the effects of storage time on the dimensional accuracy of impression materials using cone beam computed tomography. J Adv Prosthodont. 2016;8(5):380–387.
- Kamble SS, Khandeparker RV, Somasundaram P, Raghav S, Babaji RP, Varghese TJ. Comparative evaluation of dimensional accuracy of elastomeric ımpression materials when treated with autoclave, microwave, and chemical disinfection. J Int Oral Health. 2015;7:22–24.