Dental and Medical Problems
2019, vol. 56, nr 1, January-March, p. 39–44
Publication type: original article
Bond strength of Biodentine to a resin-based composite at various acid etching times and with different adhesive strategies
Wytrzymałość wiązania bioaktywnego substytutu zębiny z żywicą kompozytową w różnym czasie wytrawiania kwasowego i przy zastosowaniu różnych technik adhezyjnych
1 Department of Conservative Dentistry, Chair of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, Faculty of Medicine with the Division of Dentistry, Medical University of Lodz, Poland
2 Academic Materials Testing Laboratory, Medical University of Lodz, Poland
Background. Biodentine® is a bioactive calcium silicate-based material, with better strength parameters, an easier application method and a shorter setting time than mineral trioxide aggregate (MTA). The bond strength between Biodentine and the composite material is essential for the durability of the layered restoration.
Objectives. The objective of this study was to evaluate the bond strength of Biodentine to a resin-based composite at various acid etching times and with different adhesive strategies.
Material and Methods. In the 1st part of the experiment, the specimens were divided into 2 groups: the adhesive was applied in the total-etch (TE) and self-etch (SE) techniques. In the TE group, 37% orthophosphoric acid was applied after 30 s (TE 30) and 240 s (TE 240). In the SE group, the SE system was applied for 30 s (SE 30) and 240 s (SE 240). In the 2nd part, the SE systems Clearfil® SE Bond and Clearfil S3 Bond Plus were evaluated (the CSE and CS3 groups, respectively). In each group, the adhesive system was applied in 1 (the CSE 1 and CS3 1 subgroups) or 2 layers (the CSE 2 and CS3 2 subgroups). The specimens were subjected to a shear bond strength (SBS) test in a universal testing machine.
Results. Shear bond strength was higher after a prolonged etching procedure in the TE (TE 30: 2.51 MPa, TE 240: 9.39 MPa) and SE techniques (SE 30: 5.92 MPa, SE 240: 7.89 MPa). A statistically significant influence was detected in relation to 30 s of surface preparation time for Clearfil S3 Bond Plus (p < 0.001). Greater bond strength was revealed after the application of 1 layer of the Clearfil S3 Bond Plus single-bottle system (CS3 1: 6.42 MPa).
Conclusion. The SBS of Biodentine to the composite depends on both the etching time and the mode of application of the adhesive systems. Higher bond strength was obtained for the SE adhesive in a shorter application time.
shear bond strength, Biodentine, adhesive systems, calcium silicate cement
wytrzymałość wiązania na ścinanie, bioaktywny substytut zębiny, systemy wiążące, cement krzemianowo-wapniowy
- Nowicka A, Lipski M, Parafiniuk M, et al. Response of human dental pulp capped with biodentine and mineral trioxide aggregate. J Endod. 2013;39(6):743–747.
- Koubi G, Colon P, Franquin JC, et al. Clinical evaluation of the performance and safety of a new dentine substitute, Biodentine, in the restoration of posterior teeth – a prospective study. Clin Oral Investig. 2012;17(1):243–249.
- Camilleri J. Investigation of Biodentine as dentine replacement material. J Dent. 2013;41(7):600–610.
- Shayegan A, Jurysta C, Atash R, Petein M, Abbeele AV. Biodentine used as a pulp-capping agent in primary pig teeth. Pediatr Dent. 2012;34(7):e202–208.
- Özyürek T, Demiryürek EÖ. Comparison of the antimicrobial activity of direct pulp-capping materials: Mineral trioxide aggregate – Angelus and Biodentine. J Conserv Dent. 2016;19(6):569–572.
- Hashem DF, Foxton R, Manoharan A, Watson TF, Banerjee A. The physical characteristics of resin composite-calcium silicate interface as part of a layered/laminate adhesive restoration. Dent Mater J. 2014;30(3):343–349.
- Sultana N, Nawal RR, Chaudhry S, Sivakumar M, Talwar S. Effect of acid etching on the micro-shear bond strength of resin composite–calcium silicate interface evaluated over different time intervals of bond aging. J Conserv Dent. 2018;21(2):194–197.
- Cengiz E, Ulusoy N. Microshear bond strength of tri-calcium silicate-based cements to different restorative materials. J Adhes Dent. 2016;18(3):231–237.
- Çolak H, Tokay U, Uzgur R, Uzgur Z, Ercan E, Hamidi MM. The effect of different adhesives and setting times on bond strength between Biodentine and composite. J Appl Biomater Func. 2016;14(2):e217–222.
- Odabaş ME, Bani M, Tirali RE. Shear bond strengths of different adhesive systems to Biodentine. ScientificWorldJournal. 2013;2013:626103.
- Meraji N, Camilleri J. Bonding over dentin replacement materials. J Endod. 2017;43(8):1343–1349.
- Aksoy S, Ünal M. Shear bond strength of universal adhesive systems to a bioactive dentin substitute (Biodentine®) at different time intervals. Stomatological Dis Sci. 2017;1:116–122.
- Shin JH, Jang JH, Park SH, Kim E. Effect of mineral trioxide aggregate surface treatments on morphology and bond strength to composite resin. J Endod. 2014;40(8):1210–1216.
- Kayahan MB, Nekoofar MH, McCann A, et al. Effect of acid etching procedures on the compressive strength of 4 calcium silicate-based endodontic cements. J Endod. 2013;39(12):1646–1648.
- Atabek D, Sillelioğlu H, Olmez A. Bond strength of adhesive systems to mineral trioxide aggregate with different time intervals. J Endod. 2012;38(9):1288–1292.
- Tunç ES, Sönmez IS, Bayrak S, Eğilmez T. The evaluation of bond strength of a composite and a compomer to white mineral trioxide aggregate with two different bonding systems. J Endod. 2008;34(5):603–605.
- Sulwińska M, Szczesio A, Bołtacz-Rzepkowska E. Bond strength of a resin composite to MTA at various time intervals and with different adhesive strategies. Dent Med Probl. 2017;54(2):155–160.
- Krawczyk-Stuss M, Ostrowska A, Łapińska B, Nowak J, Bołtacz-Rzepkowska E. Evaluation of shear bond strength of the composite to Biodentine with different adhesive systems. Dent Med Probl. 2015;52(4):434–439.
- Alsubait SA. Effect of different acid etching times on the compressive strength of three calcium silicate-based endodontic materials. J Int Oral Health. 2016;8(3):328–331.
- Tulumbaci F, Almaz ME, Arikan V, Mutluay MS. Shear bond strength of different restorative materials to mineral trioxide aggregate and Biodentine. J Conserv Dent. 2017;20(5):292–296.
- Bachoo IK, Seymour D, Brunton P. A biocompatible and bioactive replacement for dentine: Is this a reality? The properties and uses of a novel calcium-based cement. Br Dent J. 2013;214(2):E5.
- Deepa VL, Dhamaraju B, Bollu IP, Balaji TS. Shear bond strength evaluation of resin composite bonded to three different liners: TheraCal LC, Biodentine, and resin-modified glassionomer cement using universal adhesive: An in vitro study. J Conserv Dent. 2016;19(2):166–170.
- Schmidt A, Schäfer E, Dammaschke T. Shear bond strength of lining materials to calcium-silicate cements at different time intervals. J Adhes Dent. 2017;19(2):129–135.
- Neelakantan P, Grotra D, Subbarao CV, Garcia-Godoy F. The shear bond strength of resin-based composite to white mineral trioxide aggregate. J Am Dent Assoc. 2012;143(8):e40–45.
- Bayrak S, Tunç ES, Saroğlu I, Eğilmez T. Shear bond strengths of different adhesive systems to white mineral trioxide aggregate. Dent Mater J. 2009;28(1):62–67.
- Inoue S, Vargas MA, Abe Y, et al. Microtensile bond strength of eleven contemporary adhesives to dentin. J Adhes Dent. 2001;3(3):237–245.