Dental and Medical Problems
2018, vol. 55, nr 3, July-September, p. 321–332
Publication type: review article
Effectiveness of laser irradiation in preventing enamel demineralization during orthodontic treatment: A systematic review
Skuteczność promieniowania laserowego w zapobieganiu demineralizacji szkliwa podczas leczenia ortodontycznego – systematyczny przegląd piśmiennictwa
1 Department of Orthodontics, Faculty of Dental Medicine, University of Damascus, Syria
2 Higher Institute for Laser Research and Applications, University of Damascus, Syria
The objective of this study was to investigate the in vivo effectiveness of laser in the prevention of enamel demineralization during orthodontic treatment. A search of electronic databases (PubMed, ScienceDirect, Google Scholar, Scopus, the Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials – CENTRAL, OpenGrey, and ProQuest Dissertations and Theses – PQDT Open from ProQuest) was carried out. In vivo studies, randomized and/or controlled clinical trials regarding the use of laser treatment to prevent enamel demineralization during orthodontic treatment were included. The risk of bias of the studies included was assessed independently by 2 authors according to Cochrane guidelines. Eight articles were identified, comprising a total of 183 patients. Significant differences were observed in enamel demineralization between laser-irradiated and control groups for all laser types: argon laser, CO2 laser, neodymium-doped yttrium aluminum garnet (Nd:YAG) laser, and Optodan® laser, except for argon laser application for curing bracket adhesives, where no statistically significant differences were noted. Laser irradiation may be effective in inhibiting demineralization during orthodontic treatment, but there is a need for further randomized, controlled clinical trials, utilizing different laser systems to determine real clinical efficacy of the technique.
prevention, laser, orthodontics, white spot lesions, demineralization
zapobieganie, laser, ortodoncja, białe plamy próchnicowe, demineralizacja
- Bergstrand F, Twetman S. A review on prevention and treatment of post-orthodontic white spot lesions – evidence-based methods and emerging technologies. Open Dent J. 2011;5:158–162.
- Sudjalim TR, Woods MG, Manton DJ. Prevention of white spot lesions in orthodontic practice: A contemporary review. Aust Dent J. 2006;51(4):284–289,quiz 347.
- Sundararaj D, Venkatachalapathy S, Tandon A, Pereira A. Critical evaluation of incidence and prevalence of white spot lesions during fixed orthodontic appliance treatment: A meta-analysis. J Int Soc Prev Community Dent. 2015;5(6):433–439.
- Zabokova-Bilbilova E, Popovska L, Kapusevska B, Stefanovska E. White spot lesions: Prevention and management during the orthodontic treatment. Pril (Makedon Akad Nauk Umet Odd Med Nauki). 2014;35:161–168.
- Lapenaite E, Lopatiene K, Ragauskaite A. Prevention and treatment of white spot lesions during and after fixed orthodontic treatment: A systematic literature review. Stomatologija. 2016;18(1):3–8.
- Featherstone JD. Lasers in dentistry 3. The use of lasers for the prevention of dental caries [in Dutch]. Ned Tijdschr Tandheelkd. 2002;109(5):162–167.
- Karandish M. The efficiency of laser application on the enamel surface: A systematic review. J Lasers Med Sci. 2014;5(3):108–114.
- Rodrigues LKA, de Freitas PM, Nobre-dos-Santos M. Lasers in caries prevention. In: Freitas PM, Simões A, eds. Lasers in Dentistry: Guide for Clinical Practice. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley-Blackwell; 2015:126–130.
- Rezaei Y, Bagheri H, Esmaeilzadeh M. Effects of laser irradiation on caries prevention. J Lasers Med Sci. 2011;2(4):159–164.
- Sadr Haghighi H, Skandarinejad M, Abdollahi AA. Laser application in prevention of demineralization in orthodontic treatment. J Lasers Med Sci. 2013;4(3):107–110.
- Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J, Altman DG; PRISMA Group. Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses: The PRISMA statement. Int J Surg. 2010;8(5):336–341.
- Higgins JP, Altman DG, Gøtzsche PC, et al.; Cochrane Bias Methods Group, Cochrane Statistical Methods Group. The Cochrane Collaboration’s tool for assessing risk of bias in randomised trials. BMJ. 2011;343:d5928.
- Harazaki M, Hayakawa K, Fukui T, Isshiki Y, Powell LG. The Nd-YAG laser is useful in prevention of dental caries during orthodontic treatment. Bull Tokyo Dent Coll. 2001;42(2):79–86.
- Anderson AM, Kao E, Gladwin M, Benli O, Ngan P. The effects of argon laser irradiation on enamel decalcification: An in vivo study. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2002;122(3):251–259.
- Blankenau RJ, Powell G, Ellis RW, Westerman GH. In vivo caries-like lesion prevention with argon laser: Pilot study. J Clin Laser Med Surg. 1999;17(6):241–243.
- Hicks J, Winn D 2nd, Flaitz C, Powell L. In vivo caries formation in enamel following argon laser irradiation and combined fluoride and argon laser treatment: A clinical pilot study. Quintessence Int. 2004;35(1):15–20.
- Elaut J, Wehrbein H. The effects of argon laser curing of a resin adhesive on bracket retention and enamel decalcification: A prospective clinical trial. Eur J Orthod. 2004;26(5):553–560.
- Rechmann P, Fried D, Le CQ, et al. Caries inhibition in vital teeth using 9.6-μm CO2-laser irradiation. J Biomed Opt. 2011;16(7):071405.
- Miresmaeili A, Farhadian N, Rezaei-soufi L, Saharkhizan M, Veisi M. Effect of carbon dioxide laser irradiation on enamel surface microhardness around orthodontic brackets. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2014;146(2):161–165.
- Suetenkov DY, Petrova AP, Kharitonova TL. Photo activated disinfection efficiency of low-intensity laser and comprehensive prevention of caries and gingivitis in adolescents using bracket system. J Innovat Opt Health Sci. 2015;8(3):1541002.
- Seino PY, Freitas PM, Marques MM, de Souza Almeida FC, Botta SB, Moreira MS. Influence of CO2 (10.6 μm) and Nd:YAG laser irradiation on the prevention of enamel caries around orthodontic brackets. J Lasers Med Sci. 2015;30(2):611–616.
- Paulos RS, Seino PY, Fukushima KA, et al. Effect of Nd:YAG and CO2 laser irradiation on prevention of enamel demineralization in orthodontics: In vitro study. Photomed Laser Surg. 2017;35(5):282–286.
- Ulkur F, Sungurtekin Ekçi E, Nalbantgil D, Sandalli N. In vitro effects of two topical varnish materials and Er:YAG laser irradiation on enamel demineralization around orthodontic brackets. Sci World J. 2014;2014:490503.
- Fornaini C, Brulat N, Milia G, Rockl A, Rocca JP. The use of sub-ablative Er:YAG laser irradiation in prevention of dental caries during orthodontic treatment. Laser Ther. 2014;23(3):173–181.
- Garma NM, Jasim ES. The effect of Er:YAG laser on enamel resistance to caries during orthodontic treatment: An in vitro study. J Bagh Coll Dentistry. 2015;27(1):182–188.
- de Souza-e-Silva CM, Parisotto TM, Steiner-Oliveira C, Kamiya RU, Rodrigues LK, Nobre-dos-Santos M. Carbon dioxide laser and bonding materials reduce enamel demineralization around orthodontic brackets. J Lasers Med Sci. 2013;28(1):111–118.
- Mirhashemi AH, Hakimi S, Ahmad Akhoundi MS, Chiniforush N. Prevention of enamel adjacent to bracket demineralization following carbon dioxide laser radiation and titanium tetra fluoride solution treatment: An in vitro study. J Lasers Med Sci. 2016; 7(3):192–196.
- Stangler LP, Romano FL, Shirozaki MU, et al. Microhardness of enamel adjacent to orthodontic brackets after CO2 laser irradiation and fluoride application. Braz Dent J. 2013;24(5):508–512.
- Lacerda ÂS, Hanashiro FS, de Sant’Anna G, Steagall W Júnior, Barbosa P, de Souza-Zaroni WC. Effects of near infrared laser radiation associated with photoabsorbing cream in preventing white spot lesions around orthodontic brackets: An in vitro study. Photomed Laser Surg. 2014;32:686–693.
- Lara-Carrilloa E, Doroteo-Chimalb C, Lopez-Gonzaleza S, et al. Remineralization effect of low-level laser and amorphous sodium–calcium–phosphosilicate paste in teeth with fixed orthodontic appliances. Tanta Dent J. 2016;13(1):55–62.
- Miresmaeili A, Etrati Khosroshahi M, Motahary P, et al. Effect of argon laser on enamel demineralization around orthodontic brackets: An in vitro study. J Dent (Tehran). 2014;11(4):411–417.
- Noel L, Rebellato J, Sheats RD. The effect of argon laser irradiation on demineralization resistance of human enamel adjacent to orthodontic brackets: An in vitro study. Angle Orthod. 2003;73(3):249–258.
- Stern RH, Vahl J, Sognnaes RF. Lased enamel: Ultrastructural observations of pulsed carbon dioxide laser effects. J Dent Res. 1972;51(2):455–460.
- Borggreven JM, van Dijk JW, Driessens FC. Effect of laser irradiation on the permeability of bovine dental enamel. Arch Oral Biol. 1980;25:831–832.