Dental and Medical Problems
2018, vol. 55, nr 2, April-June, p. 167–171
Publication type: original article
Spectrophotometric evaluation of 5-layer acrylic teeth hyperpigmentation caused by selected food colors: In vitro study
Spektrofotometryczna ocena przebarwień wywołanych wybranymi barwnikami spożywczymi na 5-warstwowych zębach akrylowych – badanie in vitro
1 Department of Dental Prosthetics, Faculty of Dentistry, Wroclaw Medical University, Poland
2 Department of Experimental Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, Wroclaw Medical University, Poland
Background. Prosthetic treatment restores proper chewing function and facial aesthetics, and enhances the quality of life. The overall aesthetic result of the use of removable prostheses is correlated with the type of artificial teeth used and with the maintenance of aesthetic effect and color stability.
Objectives. The aim of the study was to evaluate the formation and intensity of discoloration caused by the dyes present in selected 5-layer acrylic teeth.
Material and Methods. The study material was a group of 90 5-layer acrylic teeth. Samples were immersed in black tea and dry red wine for 6 months. The control group was immersed in distilled water and consisted of 30 samples. The teeth were subjected to spectrophotometric examination at the start of the study, after 24 h, 7 days, 14 days, 1 month, 4 months, and 6 months.
Results. Among the teeth examined, in about 85% of the samples the color corresponded with the order. Teeth immersed in black tea became darker. From the 7th day to the 6th month, none of the samples changed their brightness. The teeth had the same degree of brightness. The teeth did not change tone during the experiment. Teeth immersed in dry red wine changed their shade to A starting on the 14th day, and by the 4th month all samples had changed shade to A or C. The 5-layer teeth had quite high shade stability until the 14th day of observation. In the control group, the teeth did not change tone and individual brightness changed more in the direction of brighter shades and less in the darker direction. In the study group, 93% of the samples did not change their brightness.
Conclusion. Both black tea and dry red wine cause tooth discoloration, more intensely in the case of the 2nd fluid. Acrylic teeth with a 5-layer structure ensure good color stability over time. It improves the quality and aesthetics of the restorations used.
spectrophotometry, acrylic resins, artificial teeth
spektrofotometria, tworzywa akrylowe, sztuczne zęby
- Goodacre CJ, Sagel PA. Dental Esthetics in Practice: Part 3 – understanding Color & Shade Selection. Crest Oral-B at dentalcare.com Continuing Education Course. 2011;27:1–15.
- Kolek Z. Psychophysical aspects of color [in Polish]. Proceedings of the Electrotechnical Institute. 2010;244:5–15.
- Sikri VK. Color: Implications in dentistry. J Conserv Dent. 2010;13:249–255.
- Stopyra W. Compendium of ophthalmology: Seeing colors [in Polish]. Ophthalmol. 2012;3:4–14.
- Bhat V, Prasad DK, Sood S, Bhat A. Role of colors in prosthodontics: Application of color science in restorative dentistry. Indian J Dent Res. 2011;22:804–809.
- Shammas M, Alla RK. Color and shade matching in dentistry. Trends Biomater Artif Organs. 2011;25:172–175.
- Joiner A, Hopkinson I, Deng Y, Westland S. A review of tooth color and whiteness. J Dent. 2008;36(Suppl 1):S2–7.
- Abhishek A, Prashanti E, Kiran KKS. Digital shade matching: An insight. Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci. 2015;6:1072–1079.
- Gómez-Polo C, Gómez-Polo M, Celemin-Viñuela A, Martínez Vázquez De Parga JA. Differences between the human eye and the spectrophotometer in the shade matching of tooth colour. J Dent. 2014;42:742–745.
- Baharin SA, Tey YD, Tan WJ. Anterior tooth shade selection procedure: Influence of light sources and patient’s position. Sains Malays. 2013;42:7–11.
- Todorović A, Todorović A, Spadijer-Gostović A, Lazić V, Milicić B, Ðurišić S. Reliability of conventional shade guides in teeth color determination [in Serbian]. Vojnosanitetski Pregled. 2013;70:929–934.
- Salman A, Habib SR, Azad A. Scientific and artistic principles of tooth shade selection: A review. Pak Oral Dental J. 2011;31:222–226.
- Yuan JC, Brewer JD, Monaco EA, Davis EL. Defining a natural tooth color space based on a 3-dimensional shade system. J Prosthet Dent. 2007;98:110–119.
- Koksal T, Dikbas I. Color stability of different denture teeth materials against various staining agents. Dent Mater J. 2008;27:139–144.
- Madhyastha PS, Kotian R. Effect of staining solutions on color stability of acrylic denture base resins: A spectrophotometric evaluation. Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci. 2013;4:549–559.
- Singh SV, Priyanki A. Effect of tea, coffee and turmeric solutions on the color of denture base acrylic resin: An in vitro study. J Indian Prosthodont Soc. 2012;12:149–153.
- Scotti R, Mascellani SC, Forniti E. The in vitro color stability of acrylic resins for provisional restorations. Int J Prosthodont. 1997;10:164–168.
- Michalczewski G. Spectrophotometric evaluation of discolorations of dental materials caused by food-origin dyes in an in vitro study [Doctoral thesis] [in Polish]. Lublin, Poland: Medical University of Lublin; 2013.
- Fujita M, Kawakami S, Noda M, Sano H. Color change of newly developed esthetic restorative material immersed in food-simulating solutions. Dent Mater J. 2006;25:352–359.
- Kohli S, Bhatia S. Evaluation of the color durability of acrylic resin veneer materials after immersion in common beverages at different time intervals: A spectrophotometric study. Biomed J. 2015;38:244–249.
- Sepúlveda-Navarro WF, Arana-Correa BE, Borges CPF, Jorge JH, Urban VM, Campanha NH. Color stability of resins and nylon as denture base material in beverages. J Prosthodont. 2011;20:632–638.
- Bayindir F, Kürklü D, Yanikoğlu ND. The effect of staining solutions on the color stability of provisional prosthodontic materials. J Dent. 2012;40(Suppl 2):41–46.
- Hersek N, Canay S, Uzun G, Yildiz F. Color stability of denture base acrylic resins in three food colorants. J Prosthet Dent. 1999;81:375–379.
- Kurtulmus-Yilmaz S, Deniz ST. Evaluation of staining susceptibility of resin artificial teeth and stain removal efficacy of denture cleansers. Acta Odontol Scand. 2014;72:811–818.
- Makhija PP, Shigli K, Awinashe V. Evaluating the efficacy of denture cleansing materials in removal of tea and turmeric stains: An in vitro study. Indian J Dent Res. 2016;27:528–534.