Dental and Medical Problems
2018, vol. 55, nr 2, April-June, p. 161–165
Publication type: original article
Correlation between functional disorders of the masticatory system and speech sound disorders in children aged 7–10 years
Zależność pomiędzy zaburzeniami czynnościowymi narządu żucia a nieprawidłowościami wymowy u dzieci w wieku od 7 do 10 lat
1 Center of Postgraduate Medical Education, Public Health School, Warszawa, Poland
2 Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, Warsaw Medical University, Poland
3 Department of Orthodontics, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, Warsaw Medical University, Poland
Background. Masticatory system and speech sound disorders concur, have the same causes and similar consequences – both increase the risk of dental and periodontal diseases.
Objectives. The study was conducted to establish the correlation between functional disorders of the masticatory system and speech sound disorders.
Material and Methods. Three hundred patients aged 7–10 years were examined to detect functional disorders of the masticatory system and speech sound disorders. Functional disorders were assessed in patients with and without speech sound disorders.
Results. According to the study results, functional disorders of the masticatory system concur more often with speech sound disorders than with correct articulation and lead to speech sound disorders. There is a strong correlation between: – any dysfunction and errors in the /p/, /b/, /m/, /s/, /z/, /t͡ s/, /d͡ z/, /ɕ/, /ʑ/, /t͡ ɕ/, and /d͡ ʑ/ sounds, – mouth breathing and errors in the /p/, /b/, /m/, /s/, /z/, /t͡ s/, /d͡ z/, /ɕ/, /ʑ/, /t͡ ɕ/, and /d͡ ʑ/ sounds, – persistent tongue thrust and errors in the /s/, /z/, /t͡ s/, /d͡ z/, /ʂ/, /ʐ/, /t͡ ʂ/, /d͡ ʐ/, /ɕ/, /ʑ/, /t͡ ɕ/, and /d͡ ʑ/ sounds, and – parafunctional sucking and errors in the /s/, /z/, /t͡ s/, /d͡ z/, /ʂ/, /ʐ/, /t͡ ʂ/, /d͡ ʐ/, /ɕ/, /ʑ/, /t͡ ɕ/, and /d͡ ʑ/ sounds.
Conclusion. To implement effective and early prevention and treatment, it is crucial to know the correlation between the masticatory system and speech sound disorders, as it reduces treatment duration and minimizes relapses of not only communication disorders, but also of concurrent masticatory system disorders.
prevention, malocclusion, speech sound disorders, dental care in children
profilaktyka, wada zgryzu, wady wymowy, opieka stomatologiczna dzieci
- Wiesner G. Speech intelligibility. In: Ball MJ, Perkins MR. The Handbook of Clinical Linguistics. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Publishers; 2008:568–582.
- Olczak-Kowalczyk D, Grudziąż-Sękowska J. Interdependence between malocclusion and articulatory disorders – preliminary communication [in Polish]. Nowa Stomatol. 2010;15:62–67.
- Pizzolato RA, Fernandes FSF, Gaviao MBD. Speech evaluation in children with temporomandibular disorders. J Appl Oral Sci. 2011;19:493–499.
- Straub JW. Malfunction of the tounge. Am J Orthod. 1960;46:404–424.
- Shotts LL, McDaniel DM, Neeley RA. The impact of prolonged pacifier use on speech articulation: A preliminary investigation. Contemp Issues Commun Sci Disord. 2008;35:72–75.
- Van Norman RA. Why we can’t afford to ignore prolonged digit sucking. Contemp Pediatr. 2001;2:61–80.
- Tarvade SM, Ramkrishna S. Tongue thrusting habit: A review. Int J Contemp Dent Med Rev. 2015:1–5. doi: 10.15713/ins.ijcdmr.26
- Babiak M, Babiak J, Marcinkowski J. Frequency of malocclusion in 4-, 5- and 6-year-old children with oral habits [in Polish]. Probl Hig Epidemiol. 2012;93:319–326.
- Zadurska M, Piekarczyk B, Fidecki M, et al. Evaluation of malocclusion in preschool children undergoing speech therapy [in Polish]. In: Diagnosis and Therapy in Speech Therapy. Porayski-Pomsta J, ed. Warszawa, Poland: Dom Wydawniczy Elipsa; 2008:110–116.
- Orzelska-Blomberg M, Kuropatnicka M, Szkarłat B, Wojtaszek-Słomińska A, Grzybiak M. Frequency of malocclusion and articulation disorders in preschool children [in Polish]. Forum Ortodont. 2015;11:8–15.
- Zadurska M, Siemińska-Piekarczyk B, Wierusz W, Mysiorska M, Kosińska K. Evaluation of the correlation between the occurrence of malocclusion and speech disorder and dysfunction of stomatognathic system among children from nursery schools in Warsaw [in Polish]. Stomatol Wspolcz. 2007;Suppl 2:17–22.
- Rehak G, Kovacs E, Frigyesi A. The relationship between malocclusion, abnormal swallowing and lisping [in Polish]. Czas Stomatol. 1974;28:559–562.
- Hopkin GB. Orthodontic aspects of the diagnosis and management of speech defects in children. Proc R Soc Med. 1972;65:409–414.
- Mackiewicz B. Interdependence between malocclusion and articulatory disorders on the causal basis [in Polish]. Magazyn Stomatol. 1992;2:28–30.
- Subtelny JD, Subtelny JD. Malocclusion, speech and deglutition. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1962;48:685–697.
- Examination of current philosophies associated withswallowing behavior. Am J Orthod. 1965;51:161–182.
- Szlachetko K. Pathological deglutition in etiopathogenesis of malocclusion [in Polish]. Czas Stomatol. 1965;18:1251–1255.
- Rix RE. Deglutition and the teeth. Dent Rec (London). 1953;4:427–442.
- Cleall JF. Deglutition: A study of form and function. Am J Orthod. 1965;51:566–594.
- Horn H, Kuhnast K, Axmann-Krcmar D, Goz G. Influence of orofacial dysfunctions on spatial and temporal dimensions of swallowing movements. J Orofac Orthop. 2004;65:376–388.
- Clausnitzer R, Clausnitzer V. Relationships between dysgnathia, formation mode of the S and faulty swallowing [in German]. Stomatol DDR. 1989;39:569–572.
- Hitos SF, Arakaki R, Sole D, Weckx LLM. Oral breathing and speech disorders in children. J Pediatr. 2013;89:361–365.
- Barbosa C, Vasquez S, Parada MA, et al. The relationship of bottle feeding and other sucking behaviors with speech disorder in Patagonian pre-schoolers. BMC Pediatr. 2009;9:66.