Dental and Medical Problems
2017, vol. 54, nr 4, October-December, p. 447–449
Publication type: clinical case
Facial talon cusp on a permanent mandibular canine: A rare case report
Dodatkowy guzek talon na powierzchni wargowej kła żuchwy – opis rzadkiego przypadku
1 Department of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Manipal University, Mangalore, India
Talon cusp is an unusual abnormality characterized by a cusp-like projection that occurs due to the evagination of enamel and dentin with a variable amount of pulp tissue before calcification, usually present on the cingulum area on the palatal and lingual surface of the anterior teeth. The maxillary lateral incisors are most often affected, followed by the maxillary central incisors in both primary and permanent dentition. The etiology is unknown. This developmental anomaly is rare on the facial surfaces of mandibular canines and very few cases have been reported. When it occurs on the facial surface, it usually affects the esthetics and functioning. The present case report describes an unusual case of a facial talon cusp on a permanent mandibular left canine in a 12-year-old girl. To date, only 1 such case has been reported to our knowledge and it requires careful dental and radiographic examination of the affected patient since the findings can be of clinical significance.
developmental abnormality, mandibular, canine
zaburzenie rozwojowe, żuchwa, kieł
- Kapur A, Goyal A, Bhatia S. Talon cusp in a primary incisor: A rare entity. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent. 2011;29:248–250.
- Praveen P, Anantharaj A, Venkataraghavan K, Rani P, Jaya AR. Talon cusp in a primary tooth: A case report. J Dent Sci Res. 2011;2:35–40.
- Thakur S, Gupta R, Thakur NS, Gupta M. Facial talon cusp on permanent maxillary canine: A rare dental anomaly. Eur J General Dent. 2013;2:324.
- Chinni SK, Nanneboyina M, Ramachandra A, Chalapathikumar H. A facial talon cusp on maxillary permanent central incisors. J Conserv Dent. 2012;15:87–88.
- Sharma G, Nagpal A. Talon cusp: A prevalence study of its types in permanent dentition and report of a rare case of its association with fusion in mandibular incisor. J Oral Dis. 2014;21:1–6.
- Bahadure RN, Thosar N, Jain ES. Management of talons cusp associated with primary central incisor: A rare case report. Int J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2012;5:142–144.
- Mallineni SK, Panampally GK, Chen Y, Tian T. Mandibular talon cusps: A systematic review and data analysis. J Clin Exp Dent. 2014;6:408–413.
- Stojanowski CM, Johnson KM. Labial canine talon cusp from the early holocene site of Gobero, central Sahara Desert, Niger. Int J Osteoarchaeol. 2011;21:391–406.
- Hattab FN, Yassin OM, Al‑Nimri KS. Talon cusp in the permanent dentition associated with other dental anomalies: Review of literature and reports of seven cases. J Dent Child. 1996;63:368–376.
- Mayes AT. Labial talon cusp: A case study of pre-European-contact American Indians. J Am Dent Assoc. 2007;138:515–518.
- Ramalingam K, Gajula P. Mandibular talon cusp: A rare presentation with the literature review. J Natural Sci Biol Med. 2011;2:225–228.
- Hattab FN, Hazza’a AM. An unusual case of talon cusp on geminated tooth. J Can Dent Assoc. 2001;67:263–266.