Dental and Medical Problems
2017, vol. 54, nr 4, October-December, p. 383–387
Publication type: original article
Dental prosthetic treatment needs in Mexican elders: Influence of socioeconomic position
Potrzeby leczenia protetycznego u starszych Meksykanów – wpływ czynnika socjoekonomicznego
1 Academic Area of Dentistry of Health Sciences Institute, Autonomous University of Hidalgo State, Pachuca, Mexico
2 DEPeI Faculty of Dentistry of National Autonomous University of Mexico, Ciudad de Mexico, Mexico
3 Advanced Studies and Research Center in Dentistry “Dr. Keisaburo Miyata” of School of Dentistry, Autonomous University of the State of Mexico, Toluca, Mexico
Background. According to the Global Burden of Oral Conditions in 1990–2010 report, oral diseases are highly prevalent. Tooth loss is also a prevalent oral condition. Poor oral health compromises healthy aging, as it impacts an older person’s quality of life and general health.
Objectives. The aim of this study was to determine the influence of various indicators of socioeconomic position on dental prosthetic treatment needs in Mexican adults aged 60 and over.
Material and Methods. A cross-sectional study was carried out in older adults aged 60 and over who were residents in 2 nursing homes and a senior citizen club in the city of Pachuca, Mexico. By means of a clinical exploration, tooth loss and dental rehabilitation status were determined, which was our dependent variable. This was dichotomized as 0 = subjects with loss of teeth but rehabilitated with a dental prosthesis; and 1 = subjects with loss of teeth and in need of dental prosthesis treatment. Using a questionnaire, a series of sociodemographic, socioeconomic, behavioral and health variables were collected. A statistical analysis was performed in Stata 13 using the χ2 test.
Results. The mean age was 79.03 ±9.81 years. Most of the subjects included in the study were women (68.8%). The prevalence of dental prosthetic treatment needs was 53.6%. Higher dental prosthetic treatment requirements (p < 0.05) were observed among subjects who did not have access to health insurance, in those with education less than elementary, among those who attended a publicly funded nursing home and those who did not have the social benefit of being retired/pensioned.
Conclusion. This sample of elderly people presented high dental prosthetic treatment needs for more than half of the subjects studied. It was observed that the variables indicating socioeconomic position had a great impact on the dental prosthetic needs, which represents the existence of inequalities in oral health.
elderly, oral health, tooth loss, health needs
osoby starsze, zdrowie jamy ustnej, utrata zębów, potrzeby zdrowotne
- Sulewska M, Pietruski J, Sulima E, et al. Periodontal status of Białystok citizens aged 65–74 years: A pilot study. Dent Med Probl. 2017;54:173–178.
- Marcenes W, Kassebaum NJ, Bernabé E, et al. Global burden of oral conditions in 1990–2010: A systematic analysis. J Dent Res. 2013;92:592–597.
- Kassebaum NJ, Bernabé E, Dahiya M, Bhandari B, Murray CJ, Marcenes W. Global burden of severe periodontitis in 1990–2010: A systematic review and meta-regression. J Dent Res. 2014;93:1045–1053.
- Kassebaum NJ, Bernabé E, Dahiya M, Bhandari B, Murray CJ, Marcenes W. Global burden of untreated caries: A systematic review and metaregression. J Dent Res. 2015;94:650–658.
- Kassebaum NJ, Bernabé E, Dahiya M, Bhandari B, Murray CJ, Marcenes W. Global Burden of Severe Tooth Loss: A Systematic Review and meta-analysis. J Dent Res. 2014;93(Suppl. 7):20S–28S.
- Tonetti MS, Bottenberg P, Conrads G, et al. Dental caries and periodontal diseases in the ageing population: Call to action to protect and enhance oral health and well-being as an essential component of healthy ageing – Consensus report of group 4 of the joint EFP/ORCA workshop on the boundaries between caries and periodontal diseases. J Clin Periodontol. 2017;44(Suppl. 18):135–144.
- Łysek R, Polak M, Szafraniec K, et al. Socioeconomic status, health behaviours and oral health in adult urban population of Krakow. Dent Med Probl. 2016;53:66–77.
- Sánchez-García S, Juárez-Cedillo T, Gallegos-Carrillo K, Gallo JJ, Wagner FA, García-Peña C. Frequency of depressive symptoms among older adults in Mexico City. Salud Ment. 2012;35:71–77 [in Spanish].
- Renvert S, Persson RE, Persson GR. Tooth loss and periodontitis in older individuals: Results from the Swedish National Study on Aging and Care. J Periodontol. 2013;84:1134–1144.
- Shah VR, Shah DN, Parmar CH. Prosthetic status and prosthetic need among the patients attending various dental institutes of Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar district, Gujarat. J Indian Prosthodont Soc. 2012;12:161–167.
- Whitehead M, Dahlgren G. Concepts and principles for tackling social inequities in health. Copenhagen: World Health Organization Regional Office for Europe; 2007.
- Laaksonen M, Rahkonen O, Martikainen P, Lahelma E. Socioeconomic position and self-rated health: The contribution of childhood socioeconomic circumstances, adult socioeconomic status, and material resources. Am J Public Health. 2005;95:1403–1409.
- Bhardwaj VK, Veeresha KL, Sharma KR. Dental prosthetic status, prosthetic needs in relation to socioeconomic status of the state government employees in Shimla city (Himachal Pradesh) – A cross sectional study. J Int Soc Prev Community Dent. 2011;1:52–56.
- Deogade SC, Vinay S, Naidu S. Dental prosthetic status and prosthetic needs of institutionalised elderly population in old-age homes of Jabalpur city, Madhya Pradesh, India. J Indian Prosthodont Soc. 2013;13:587–592.
- Peeran SA, Al Sanabani F, AL-Makramani BM, Elamin EI. Dental prosthetic status and treatment needs of adult population in Jizan, Saudi Arabia: A survey report. Eur J Dent. 2016;10:459–463.
- Srisilapanan P, Sheiham A. Assessing the difference between sociodental and normative approaches to assessing prosthetic dental treatment needs in dentate older people. Gerodontol. 2001;18:25–34.
- Islas-Granillo H, Borges-Yáñez A, Fernández-Barrera MA, et al. Relationship of hyposalivation and xerostomia in Mexican elderly with socioeconomic, sociodemographic and dental factors. Sci Rep. 2017;6:40686.
- Domínguez-Moreno DC, Islas-Granillo H, Medina-Solís CE. Severity and extent of periodontitis in the elderly of three asylum groups in Pachuca. Boletín Científico Educación y Salud. 2016;5:1–8 [in Spanish].
- Islas-Granillo H, Borges-Yañez SA, Medina-Solís CE, et al. Tooth loss experience and associated variables among adult Mexicans 60 years and older. P R Health Sci J. 2016;35:88–92.
- Islas-Granillo H, Medina-Solís CE, Navarrete-Hernández JJ, et al. Prevalence of functional dentition in Mexican elderly. Rev Clin Periodoncia Implantol Rehabil Oral. 2015;8:150–156 [in Spanish].
- Islas-Granillo H, Borges-Yañez SA, Medina-Solís CE, et al. Salivary parameters (salivary flow, pH and buffering capacity) in stimulated saliva of Mexican elders 60 years old and older. West Indian Med J. 2014;63:758–765.
- Petersen PE, Bourgeois D, Ogawa H, Estupinan-Day S, Ndiaye C. The global burden of oral diseases and risks to oral health. Bull World Health Organ. 2005;83:661–669.
- WHO. Oral health. Informative note 318. 2012: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs318/es/ Updated September 18, 2016 [in Spanish].
- Dowd JB, Haan MN, Blythe L, Moore K, Aiello AE. Socioeconomic gradients in immune response to latent infection. Am J Epidemiol. 2008;167:112–120.
- Basagaña X, Sunyer J, Kogevinas M, et al. Socioeconomic status and asthma prevalence in young adults: The European Community Respiratory Health Survey. Am J Epidemiol. 2004;160:178–188.
- Jepsen S, Blanco J, Buchalla W, et al. Prevention and control of dental caries and periodontal diseases at individual and population level: Consensus report of group 3 of joint EFP/ORCA workshop on the boundaries between caries and periodontal diseases. J Clin Periodontol. 2017;44(Suppl. 18):85-93.
- Jiménez-Gayosso SI, Medina-Solís CE, Lara-Carrillo E, et al. Socioeconomic inequalities in oral health service utilization any time in their lives for Mexican schoolchildren from 6 to 12 years old. Gac Med Mex. 2015;151:27–33 [in Spanish].
- Medina-Solís CE, Pontigo-Loyola AP, Pérez-Campos E, et al. Principal reasons for extraction of permanent tooth in a sample of Mexicans adults. Rev Invest Clin. 2013;65:141–149 [in Spanish].
- Kołciuk L, Godlewski T. Oral health-related quality of life of patients using removable dentures – review of literature. Dent Med Probl. 2015;52:222–226.