Dental and Medical Problems
2017, vol. 54, nr 3, July-September, p. 303–306
Publication type: clinical case
Inflammatory odontogenic cyst on an osseointegrated implant: A peri-implant cyst? New entity proposed
Zapalna torbiel zębopochodna przy osteointegrowanym implancie – torbiel okołowszczepowa? Propozycja nowego rozpoznania
1 Al-Sham Private University, Faculty of Dentistry, Damascus University, Syria
Peri-implant lesion, an inflammation around the distal portion of an implant, is one of the main reasons for implant failure. It is considered as the equivalent of a periapical granuloma. Theoretically, an inflammatory cyst analogous to a radicular cyst could develop in a peri-implant lesion but this does not appear to have been reported in the literature. Although peri-implantitis and peri-implant lesion are now scientifically accepted as implant failure causes, an inflammatory odontogenic peri-implant cyst that develops from periimplant granuloma has never been reported previously. Two cases of a peri-implant cyst are reported in this article. Both developed around the apical portion of an implant placed into an area without any preexisting dental infection, periapical granuloma or cyst. Radiographically, they had typical features of a radicular cyst and on pathological examination were lined by a variably hyperplastic non-keratinized epithelium. The name “peri-implant cyst” is proposed for this new entity.
implant, odontogenic cyst, peri-implant cyst
implant, torbiel zębopochodna, torbiel okołowszczepowa
- Boucher CO, ed. Current Clinical Dental Terminology; A Glossary of Accepted terms in All Disciplines of Dentistry 1st ed. St. Louis, Mo: Mosby; 1963.
- Mombelli A, van Oosten MA, Schurch EJr. The microbiota associated with successful or failing osteointegrated titanium implants. Oral Microbiol Immunol. 1987;2:145–151.
- Albrektsson T, Isidor F. Consensus report of session IV. In: Lang, N.P. & Karring, T., eds. Proceedings of the 1st European Workshop on Periodontology. Berlin: Quintessence; 1994:365–369.
- Oh Tae-Ju, Yoon Joongkyo, Wang Hom-Lay. Management of the implant periapical lesion: A case report. Implantdent. 2003;12:41–46.
- Nedir R, Bischof M, Pujol O. Starch-induced implant periapical lesion: A case report. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants, 2007;22:1001–1006.
- Berglundh T, Persson L, Klinge B. A systematic review of the incidence of biological and technical complications in implant dentistry reported in prospective longitudinal studies of at least 5 years. J Clin Periodontol. 2002;29:197–212.
- Esposito M, Hirsch J, Lekholm U, Thomsen P. Differential diagnosis and treatment strategies for biologic complications and failing oral implants: A review of the literature. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants, 1999;14:473–490.
- Reiser GM, Nevins M. The implant periapical lesion: Etiology, prevention and treatment. Compendium, 1995;16:768–777.
- Piattelli A, Scarano M, Piattelli M. Abscess formation around the apex of a maxillary root form implant: Clinical and microscopical aspects. A case report. J Periodontol. 1995;66:899–903.
- Piattelli A, Scarano A, Balleri P, et al. Clinical and histological evaluation of an active “implant periapical lesion”. A case report. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants, 1998;13:713–716.
- Piattelli A, Scarano A, Piattelli M, et al. “Implant periapical lesion”. Clinical, histological and histochemical aspects. A case report. Int J Periodont Res Dent. 1998;18:181–187.
- Tolga FT, Cenk E, Isil S. Treatment of periapical dental implant pathology with guided bone regeneration. Turk J Med Sci. 2006;36:191–196.
- Xiaofeng HA, Pablo B, Harold C., et al. Fate of HERS during tooth root development. Dev Biol. 2009;334:22–30.
- Struys T, Schuermans J, Corpas L, et al. Proliferation of epithelial rests of Malassez following auto-transplantation of third molars: A case report. J Med Case Rep. 2010;4:328.
- Andujar MB, Magloire H, Hartmann DJ, et al. Early mouse molar root development: cellular changes and distribution of fibronectin, laminin and type-IV collagen. Differentiation, 1985;30:111–122.
- Vernal R, Dezerega A, Dutzan N, et al. ANKL in human periapical granuloma: possible involvement in periapical bone destruction. Oral Dis. 2006;12:283–289.
- García CC, Diago MP, Mira BG, et al. Expression of cytokeratins in epithelialized periapical lesions. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2009;107:e43–46.
- Frisch SM, Screaton RA. Anoikis mechanisms. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2001;13:555–562.
- Temmerman A, Lefever D , Teughles W, et al. Etiology and treatment of periapical lesions around dental implants. Periodontol. 2000. 2014;66:247–254.
- Poli P, Cicciu M, Beretta M, et al. Peri-implant mucositis and peri-implantitis: A current understanding of their diagnosis, clinical implications, and a report of treatment using a combined therapy approach. J Oral Implantol. 2017:43:45–50.