Dental and Medical Problems
2017, vol. 54, nr 2, April-June, p. 209–212
Publication type: clinical case
Adenomatoid odontogenic tumor of the maxilla mimicking a dentigerous cyst
Pseudogruczołowy guz zębopochodny szczęki przypominający torbiel zawiązkową
1 Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, Wroclaw Medical University, Wrocław, Poland
2 Department of Pathology, Wroclaw Medical University, Wrocław, Poland
3 University Teaching Hospital in Wroclaw, Wrocław, Poland
Adenomatoid odontogenic tumor (AOT) is a rare benign tumor which originates in the odontogenic epithelium. Some theories indicate its glandular origin because of the incidence in the same embryological pouch. This form of odontogenic tumor rarely metastasizes and generally only requires regional excisional biopsy within healthy tissues. The tumor is commonly associated with an unerupted tooth, mimicking a dentigerous cyst. AOTs are usually located in the anterior portion of the maxilla and are seen more frequently in young female patients and occur in the second decade of life. These are mostly asymptomatic small lesions discovered incidentally on panoramic radiograph; however, when a bacterial co-infection is present, their diagnosis can be troublesome. Treatment is conservative enucleation and curettage. In most cases recurrences are rare. Due to the rare occurrence of this lesion and its clinical features, the authors described a case of AOT in a 15-year old female presenting as a cystic mass associated with unerupted maxillary anterior teeth.
treatment outcomes, dentigerous cyst, maxilla, adenomatoid odontogenic tumor, odontogenic tumor
wyniki leczenia, torbiel zawiązkowa, szczęka, pseudogruczołowy guz zębopochodny, guz zębopochodny
- Carr R, Foster B, Gilliam C, Evans G. Odontogenic adenomatoid tumors associated with orthodontic treatment. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1995;107:648–650.
- Laheji A, Sakharde S, Chidambaram S, Gondhalekar RR, Shankar U, Radhika A. Adenoameloblastoma: a dilemma in diagnosis. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2012;13:925–929.
- Sharma N, Passi S, Kumar VV. Adenomatoid odontogenic tumor. As an unusual mandibular manifestation. Contemp Clin Dent. 2012;3:29–32.
- Swasdison S, Dhanuthai K, Jainkittivong A, Philipsen H. Adenomatoid odontogenic tumors: An analysis of 67 cases in a Thai population. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2008;105:210–215.
- Mohamed A, Singh AS, Raubenheimer EJ, Bouckaert MMR. Adenomatoid odontogenic tumour: Review of the literature and an analysis of 33 cases from South Africa. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2010;39:843–846.
- Garg D, Palaskar S, Shetty V, Bhushan A. Adenomatoid odontogenic tumor – hamartoma or true neoplasm: A case report. J Oral Sci. 2009;51:155–159.
- Arotiba G, Arotiba J, Olaitan A, Ajayi O. The adenomatoid odontogenic tumor: an analysis of 57 cases in Black African population. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1997;55:146–148.
- Toida M, Hyodo I, Okuda T, Tatematsu N. Adenomatoid odontogenic tumor: Report of two cases and survey of 126 cases in Japan. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1992;50:282–285.
- Anegundi RT, Radhika R, Patil S, Sahana BA. Adenomatoid odontogenic tumor: an uncommon location. Pediatr Dent. 2011;33:437–439.
- Kurra S, Gunupati S, Prasad PR, Raju YS, Reddy BV. An adenomatoid odontogenic cyst (AOC) with an assorted histoarchitecture: A unique entity. J Clin Diagn Res. 2013;7:1232–1235.
- de Matos FR, Nonaka CF, Pinto LP, de Souza LB, de Almeida Freitas R. Adenomatoid odontogenic tumor: Retrospective study of 15 cases with emphasis on histopathologic features. Head Neck Pathol. 2012;6:430–437.
- Angiero F, Crippa R. Adenomatoid odontogenic tumor: A case report with immunohistological profile. Anticancer Res. 2013;33:2673–2677.
- Lee JS, Yoon SJ, Kang BC, Kim OJ, Kim YH. Adenomatoid odontogenic tumor associated with unerupted first primary molar. Pediatr Dent. 2012;34:493–495.
- Chindasombatjaroen J, Poomsawat S, Kakimoto N, Shimamoto H. Calcifying cystic odontogenic tumor and adenomatoid odontogenic tumor: Radiographic evaluation. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2012;114:796–803.
- Saluja R, Kaur G, Singh P. Aggressive adenomatoid odontogenic tumor of mandible showing root resorption: A histological case report. Dent Res J. (Isfahan) 2013;10:279–282.
- Narayanan VS, Naidu G, Ragavendra R, Mhaske-Jedhe S, Haldar M. Adenomatoid odontogenic tumor of the mandible with unusual radiographic features: A case report. Imaging Sci Dent. 2013;43:111–115.
- Harnet JC, Pedeutour F, Raybaud H, Ambrosetti D, Fabas T, Lombardi T. Immunohistological features in adenomatoid odontogenic tumor: Review of the literature and first expression and mutational analysis of β-catenin in this unusual lesion of the jaws. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2013;71:706–713.