Dental and Medical Problems
2017, vol. 54, nr 2, April-June, p. 143–147
Publication type: original article
The association between mandibular inferior cortex indices and serum levels of calcium and phosphorus
Związek między wskaźnikami części korowej żuchwy oraz stężeniami wapnia i fosforu w surowicy
1 Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology, School of Dentistry, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
2 Medical Students’ Research Center, School of Medicine, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Background. Mandibular cortical morphology (MCM) and mandibular cortical width (MCW) are 2 indices related to the mandibular inferior cortex in panoramic radiography.
Objectives. The aim of the present study was to evaluate the relationship between serum calcium and phosphorus levels and MCM and MCW in patients over 40 years old at the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology at Isfahan School of Dentistry.
Material and Methods. After the patients signed the consent form, blood specimens were collected and serum calcium and phosphorus levels were determined. Each patient’s MCM was determined by observing the mandible distally from the mental foramen on both sides, and was categorized into one of 3 groups based on the degree of erosion. The MCW was measured bilaterally on the radiographs of the mental foramen region.
Results. The examinations found that 63.3% of the patients had mildly to moderately eroded cortices, and the mean MCW was 4.28 ± 1.09. Unlike MCW, which did not differ between the genders, MCM was different in men and women. Also, MCM significantly correlated with age, while MCW did not show this correlation. Neither MCW nor MCM were significantly different between premenopausal and postmenopausal women. Moreover, neither MCW nor MCM were related to serum calcium or phosphorus levels. However, MCW and MCM had a significant negative correlation with each other.
Conclusion. Based on the results of the present study, MCM and MCW were not related to serum calcium or phosphorus levels. However, they had a significant negative correlation with each other. Further studies might clarify any possible relation between mandibular inferior cortex indices and serum calcium and phosphorus levels.
mandible, cortical indices, panoramix radiography, serum, calcium, phosphorus
żuchwa, wskaźniki korowe, pantomografia, surowica, wapń, fosfor
- Klemetti E, Kolmakow S. Morphology of the mandibular cortex on panoramic radiographs as an indicator of bone quality. Dentomaxillofacial Radiol. 1997;26:22–25.
- Taguchi A, Suei Y, Ohtsuka M, Otani K, Tanimoto K, Ohtaki M. Usefulness of panoramic radiography in the diagnosis of postmenopausal osteoporosis in women. Width and morphology of inferior cortex of the mandible. Dentomaxillofacial Radiol. 1996;25:263–267.
- Deguchi T, Yoshihara A, Hanada N, Miyazaki H. Relationship between mandibular inferior cortex and general bone metabolism in older adults. Osteoporos Int. 2008;19:935–940.
- Taguchi A, Sanada M, Krall E, et al. Relationship between dental panoramic radiographic findings and biochemical markers of bone turnover. J Bone Miner Res. 2003;18:1689–1694.
- Vlasiadis KZ, Damilakis J, Velegrakis GA, et al. Relationship between BMD, dental panoramic radiographic findings and biochemical markers of bone turnover in diagnosis of osteoporosis. Maturitas. 2008;59:226–233.
- Kiswanjaya B, Yoshihara A, Miyazaki H. Mandibular inferior cortex erosion as a sign of elevated total serum calcium in elderly people: A 9-year follow-up study. Dentomaxillofacial Radiol. 2014;43:20130341.
- Moe SM. Disorders involving calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium. Prim Care. 2008;35:215–237.
- Charoenphandhu N. Physical activity and exercise affect intestinal calcium absorption: A perspective review. J Sports Sci Technol. 2007;7:171–181.
- Hamed SA, Moussa EM, Youssef AH, ElHameed MAA, NasrEldin E. Bone status in patients with epilepsy: relationship to markers of bone remodeling. Front Neurol. 2014;5:142.
- Rubin MR, Lee KH, McMahon DJ, Silverberg SJ. Raloxifene lowers serum calcium and markers of bone turnover in postmenopausal women with primary hyperparathyroidism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003;88:1174–1178.
- Gutman AB, Tyson TL, Gutman EB. Serum calcium, inorganic phosphorus and phosphatase activity: In hyperparathyroidism, Paget’s disease, multiple myeloma and neoplastic disease of the bones. Arch Intern Med. 1936;57:379–413.
- Raggi P, Boulay A, Chasan-Taber S. Cardiac calcification in adult hemodialysis patients: A link between end-stage renal disease and cardiovascular disease? J Am Coll Cardiol. 2002;39:695–701.
- White SC, Pharoah MJ. Oral radiology: Principles and interpretation. Elsevier Health Sciences. 2014.
- Mirbeigi S, Khojastepour L, Ezoddini F. Correlation between mandibular radiomorphometric parameters and gonial angle size in Iranian adults. J Dentomaxillofacial Radiol Pathol Surg. 2014;3:28–34.
- Vlasiadis KZ, Skouteris CA, Velegrakis GA. Mandibular radiomorphometric measurements as indicators of possible osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. Maturitas. 2007;58:226–235.
- Dutra V, Yang J, Devlin H, Susin C. Radiomorphometric indices and their relation to gender, age, and dental status. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2005;99:479–484.
- Kalinowski P, Różyło-Kalinowska I. Mandibular inferior cortex width may serve as a prognostic osteoporosis index in Polish patients. Folia Morphol. 2011;70:272–281.
- Gulsahi A, Yüzügüllü B, İmirzalıoğlu P, Genç Y. Assessment of panoramic radiomorphometric indices in Turkish patients of different age groups, gender and dental status. Dentomaxillofacial Radiol. 2008;37:288–292.
- Uysal S, Cağirankaya B, Hatipoğlu MG. Do gender and torus mandibularis affect mandibular cortical index? A cross-sectional study. Head Face Med. 2007;3:37.
- Hastar E, Yilmaz HH, Orhan H. Evaluation of mental index, mandibular cortical index and panoramic mandibular index on dental panoramic radiographs in the elderly. Eur J Dent. 2011;5:60–67.
- Ledgerton D, Horner K, Devlin H, Worthington H. Radiomorphometric indices of the mandible in a British female population. Dentomaxillofacial Radiol. 1999;28:173–181.
- Knezović Zlatarić D, Čelebić A, Lazić B, et al. Influence of age and gender on radiomorphometric indices of the mandible in removable denture wearers. Coll Antropol. 2002;26:259–266.
- Govindraju P, Chandra P. Radiomorphometric indices of the mandible – an indicator of osteoporosis. J Clin Diagn Res. 2014;8:195.
- Johari Khatoonabad M, Aghamohammadzade N, Taghilu H, Esmaeili F, Jabbari Khamnei H. Relationship among panoramic radiography findings, biochemical markers of bone turnover and hip BMD in the diagnosis of postmenopausal osteoporosis. Iran J Radiol. 2011;8:23–28.