Dental and Medical Problems
2017, vol. 54, nr 1, January-March, p. 97–100
Publication type: clinical case
Reccurent peripheral giant cell granuloma: A case report
Nawrotowy nadziąślak olbrzymiokomórkowy – opis przypadku
1 Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Mangaluru, Karnataka, India
Peripheral giant cell granuloma is an inflammatory hyperplastic lesion that commonly occurs on peripheral tissues like gingiva, periodontal ligaments or alveolar mucosa. Clinically it is only seen in gingiva, particularly between the first permanent molars and incisors. It manifests itself as a benign tumor consisting of multinucleated giant cells. This article reports a case of peripheral giant cell granuloma in the left mandibular premolar region in a 34-year-old man. The lesion was excised and sent for histopathological examination, and was diagnosed as peripheral giant cell granuloma. The lesion was recurrent. This case report shows the importance of confirming the diagnosis of the lesion by histopathological examination. Peripheral giant cell granuloma is a reactive lesion that shows a rapid growth rate and can cause minor tooth movement. As the name suggests, there is no bony involvement and the enlargement is a soft tissue extension. Early conservative management will reduce the risk of tooth loss.
peripheral giant cell granuloma, multinucleated giant cells, local trauma
nawrotowy nadziąślak olbrzymiokomórkowy, wielojądrowe komórki olbrzymie, uraz miejscowy
- Rodrigues SV, Mitra DK, Pawar SD, Vijayakar HN. Peripheral giant cell granuloma: This enormity is a rarity. J Indian Soc Periodontol. 2015;19:466–469.
- Willing M, Engels C, Jesse N, Werner M, Delling G, Kaiser E. The nature of giant cell tumor of bone. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2001;127: 467–474.
- Agarwal A, Prasad UC, Jithendra KD. Peripheral giant cell granuloma: A case report and review of literature. Guident.net/periodontics. 2011,16.
- Khan KP, Gokhale ST, Manjunath RGS, Bhattacharya HS. Recurrent peripheral giant cell granuloma – a rare case report. Indian J Dent Sci. 2014;6:50–52.
- Bhaskar SN, Cutright DE, Beasley JD, Perez B. Giant cell reparative granuloma (peripheral): Report of 50 cases. J Oral Surg. 1971;29: 110–115.
- Flaitz CM. Peripheral giant cell granuloma: A potentially aggressive lesion in children. Pediatr Dent. 2000;22:232–233.
- Bischof M, Nedir R, Lombardi T. Peripheral giant cell granuloma associated with a dental implant. Int J Oral Maxillofac Impl. 2004;19: 295–299.
- Prabhat. MPV. Recurrent peripheral giant cell granuloma of the gingiva – a case report. Ann Essenc Dent. 2010;2:65–67.
- Ei-Mofty SK, Osbody P. Growth behavior and lineage of isolated and cultured cells derived from giant cell granuloma of the mandible. J Oral Pathol. 1985;14:539–552.
- Abe E, Mocharla H, Yamate T, Taguchi Y, Monolages SC. Meltrin-alpha, a fusion protein involved in multinucleated giant cell and osteoclast formation. Calcified Tissue Internat. 1999;64:508–515.
- Adlakha VK, Chandna P, Rehani U, Rana V, Malik W. Peripheral giant cell granuloma. J Indian Soc Pedodont Prevent Dent. 2010;4:293–296.
- Sahingur SE, Cohen RE, Aguirre A. Esthetic management of peripheral giant cell granuloma. J Periodontol. 2004;75:487–492.
- Ghimire N, Nepal P, Ghimire N. Peripheral giant cell granuloma: A case report. J Chitwan Medical College 2013;3:28–30.