Dental and Medical Problems
2017, vol. 54, nr 1, January-March, p. 85–89
Publication type: clinical case
Clinical aspects of oral cancer: A case report series
Kliniczne uwarunkowania raka jamy ustnej – opis przypadków
1 Oral Medicine and Radiology, Sharad Pawar Dental College, Datta Meghe Institute of Medical Sciences, Sawangi, India
Oral cancer is the sixth-most common cancer globally; nevertheless, there is a wide geographical variation in its incidence all over the world. In India, it accounts for about 30% of all new cases annually and the gingival-buccal complex (alveolar ridge, gingival-buccal sulcus, buccal mucosa) forms the most common subsite for cancer of the oral cavity, in contrast to cancer of the tongue that is more common in the Western world. There is a trend towards increasing incidence and delayed presentation of oral cancer as approximately 50% of patients present at stage III or IV. Although, oral cancer is a disease of the older age groups, many patients contract it at an early age (< 40 years of age), especially in high incidence countries such as India where the lower socioeconomic strata of society plays a vital role. Despite improvement in diagnostic and management techniques, the age-standardized mortality rates in oral cancer are constant, which is attributable to a failure to detect potentially malignant lesions and early stage oral cancer which precludes successful treatment. This article describes three cases of oral squamous cell carcinoma occurring at an early age, with more emphasis on the clinical aspects of squamous cell carcinoma and measures for the prevention and early detection of oral cancer.
tobacco, squamous cell carcinoma, oral cancer
tytoń, rak płaskonabłonkowy, rak jamy ustnej
- Prasad LK. Burden of oral cancer: An Indian scenario. J Orofac Sci. 2014;6:77.
- Waal VI, Bree DR, Brakenhoff R, Coebergh JW. Early diagnosis in primary oral cancer: Is it possible? Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2011;16:e300–305.
- Epstein JB. Oral cancer. In: Burket’s Oral Medicine. Diagnosis and treatment. 10th ed. Delhi, India: Harcourt Pvt Ltd;2003:194–234.
- Bolesina N, Femopase FL, Silvia A, Blanc L, Morelatto RA, Olmos MA. Oral squamous cell carcinoma clinical aspects, oral cancer. InTech. 2012. Available from: http://www.intechopen.com/books/oral-cancer/oral-squamouscell- carcinoma-clinical-aspects
- Warnakulasuriya S. Global epidemiology of oral and oropharyngeal cancer. Oral Oncol. 2009;45:309–316.
- Effiom OA, Adeyemo WL, Omitola OG, Ajayi OF, Emmanuel MM, Gbotolorun OM. Oral squamous cell carcinoma: A clinicopathologic review of 233 cases in Lagos, Nigeria. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2008; 66:1595–1599.
- Falaki F, Dalirsani Z, Pakfetrat A. Clinical and histopathological analysis of oral squamous cell carcinoma of young patients in Mashhad, Iran: A retrospective study and review of literatures. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2011;16:e473–477.
- Soudry E, Preis M, Hod R. Squamous cell carcinoma of the oral tongue in patients younger than 30 years: Clinicopathologic features and outcome. Clin Otolaryngol. 2010;35:307–312.
- Fabiana VF, Nedel F, Etges A, Gomes APN, Furuse C, Tarquinio SBC. Etiologic factors associated with oral squamous cell carcinoma in non-smokers and non-alcoholic drinkers: A brief approach. Braz Dent J. 2012;23:586–590.
- Chi AC. Epithelial pathology. In: Neville BW, Damm DD, Allen CM, Bouquot JE, ed. Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology. 2nd ed. Noida, India: Elsevier; 2002:409–421.
- Massano J, Regateiro FS, Januario G, Ferreira A. Oral squamous cell carcinoma: Review of prognostic and predictive factors. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2006;102:67–76.
- Joshi P, Nair S, Chaturvedi P, Nair D, Agarwal JP, D’Cruz AK. Delay in seeking specialized care for oral cancers: Experience from a tertiary cancer center. Indian J Cancer. 2014;51:95–97.
- Kerdpon D, Sriplung H. Factors related to delay in diagnosis of oral squamous cell carcinoma in southern Thailand. Oral Oncol. 2001;37:127–131.
- Sankaranarayanan R, Ramadas K, Thara S, Muwonge R, Thomas G, Anju G. Long term effect of visual screening on oral cancer incidence and mortality in a randomized trial in Kerala, India. Oral Oncol. 2013;49:314–321.
- Shwetha KN, Vanishri HC, Dominic A, Sowmya SV, Roopa RS. Recent advances in diagnosis of oral cancer. JDOR 2016;12:19–21.