Dental and Medical Problems
2017, vol. 54, nr 1, January-March, p. 101–106
Publication type: clinical case
Laser instant implant impression method: A case presentation
Metoda wycisku w implantacji natychmiastowej z użyciem lasera (LIIIM) – prezentacja przypadku
1 Department of Dental Surgery, Wroclaw Medical University, Wrocław, Poland
2 Student of the Master in Laser Dentistry of Sapienza University of Rome, Italy
3 Private Practice, Wschowa, Poland
4 Private Dental Healthcare, Kościan, Poland
Dental impressions are mainly used to record the geometry of hard and soft tissue and the relations between teeth and the adjacent tissues. In implantology, precise implant impressions are necessary to obtain the best possible detailed reproduction of the implant site and the passive intraoral fit of the implant framework. However, ensuring those necessities in the interdisciplinary treatment of orthodontic patients requires revised impression techniques and materials. In this study a modified one-stage putty-wash pick-up implant impression procedure was used, incorporating the use of two additional silicone materials and modeling wax. Additionally, an Er:YAG laser was used to obtain a better emergence profile for implant restorations and an immediate impression, which shortened the prosthodontic stage in patients undergoing orthodontic treatment. The technique described here for taking the impression and creating the emergence profile offers dental practitioners additional options in implantoprosthodontic treatment of orthodontic patients, as the method is characterized by simple preparation and satisfactory implant site reproduction.
dental implants, orthodontic treatment, Er:YAG laser, prosthetic impression, laser surgery
implanty stomatologiczne, leczenie ortodontyczne, laser Er:YAG, wycisk protetyczny, chirurgia laserowa
- Rose TP, Jivraj S, Chee W. The role of orthodontics in implant dentistry. Br Dent J. 2006;201:753–764.
- Farret MM, Farret MM, Carlesso J, Carlesso O. Orthodontic treatment and implant-prosthetic rehabilitation of a partially edentulous patient. J Prosthodont. 2013;22:587–590.
- Drago CJ. Use of osseointegrated implants in adult orthodontic treatment, a clinical report. J Prosthet Dent. 1999;82:504–509.
- Maeda Y, Matsuda S, Tsugawa T, Maeda S. A modified method of mouthguard fabrication for orthodontic patients. Dent Traumatol. 2008;24:475–478.
- Rilo B, Lago L, Da Silva L, Fernández-Formoso N. Implant impression for full-banded orthodontic patient. J Oral Implantol. 2016;42:292–293.
- Croll TP, Castaldi CR. Custom sports mouthguard modified for orthodontic patients and children in the transitional dentition. Pediatr Dent. 2004;26:417–420.
- Lorton L. A method to facilitate impressions of orthodontically banded teeth. J Prosthet Dent. 1982;48:356.
- Sukotjo C, Bocage V. Simplified fabrication of surgical template for orthodontic-implant treatment. J Prosthodont. 2006;15:59–61.
- Alani A, Corson M. Soft tissue manipulation for single implant restorations. Br Dent J. 2011;211:411–416.
- Tarlow JL. Procedure for obtaining proper contour of an implant-supported crown, a clinical report. J Prosthet Dent. 2002;87:416–418.
- Macintosh DC, Sutherland M. Method for developing an optimal emergence profile using heat-polymerized provisional restorations for single-tooth implant-supported restorations. J Prosthet Dent. 2004;91:289–292.
- Reikie DF. Restoring gingival harmony around single tooth implants. J Prosthet Dent. 1995;74:47–50.
- Spyropoulou PE, Razzoog M, Sierraalta M. Restoring implants in the esthetic zone after sculpting and capturing the periimplant tissues in rest position, a clinical report. J Prosthet Dent. 2009;102:345–347.
- Becker W, Doerr J, Becker BE. A novel method for creating an optimal emergence profile adjacent to dental implants. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2012;24:395–400.
- Ntounis A, Petropoulou A. A technique for managing and accurate registration of periimplant soft tissues. J Prosthet Dent. 2010;104:276–279.
- Al-Harbi SA, Edgin WA. Preservation of soft tissue contours with immediate screw-retained provisional implant crown. J Prosthet Dent. 2007;98:329–332.
- Azer SS. A simplified technique for creating a customized gingival emergence profile for implant-supported crowns. J Prosthodont. 2010;19:497–501.
- Bednarz W. The thickness of periodontal soft tissue ultrasonic examination – current possibilities and perspectives. Dent Med Probl. 2011;48:303–310.
- Matys J, Dominiak M. Assessment of pain during uncovering implants with Er:YAG laser or scalpel for second stage surgery. Adv Clin Exp Med. 2016, doi:10.17219/acem/62456.
- Hsu YT, Shieh CH, Wang HL. Using soft tissue graft to prevent mid-facial mucosal recession following immediate implant placement. J Int Acad Periodontol. 2012;14:76–82.
- Wee AG. Comparison of impression materials for direct multi-implant impressions. J Prosthet Dent. 2000;83:323–331.
- Peutzfeldt A, Asmussen E. Accuracy of alginate and elastomeric impression materials. Scand J Dent Res. 1989;97:375–379.
- Walsh LJ. Erbium dental lasers and bone modification. Aust Dent Pract. 2008;9:106–108.
- Happe A, Körner G, Nolte A. The keyhole access expansion technique for flapless implant stage-two surgery, technical note. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2010;30:97–101.
- Al-Khayatt AS, Eliyas S. Soft tissue handling during implant placement. Evid Based Dent. 2008;9:77.
- Matys J, Botzenhart U, Gedrange T, Dominiak M. Thermodynamic effects after diode and Er:YAG laser irradiation of grade IV and V titanium implants placed in bone – an ex vivo study. Preliminary report. Biomed Engineering/Biomed Technik. 2016, doi: 10.1515/bmt-2015-0135.