Dental and Medical Problems
2016, vol. 53, nr 3, July-September, p. 394–400
Publication type: original article
Visual Assessment of Dental Filling Shades as Performed by Students of Dentistry and Dental Technology
Ocena wizuala odcieni wypełnień zębów przeprowadzona przez studentów stomatologii i techniki dentystycznej
1 Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Poznan University of Medical Sciences, Poznań, Poland
2 Department of Computer Science and Statistics, Poznan University of Medical Sciences, Poznań, Poland
3 Department of Physiology, Poznan University of Medical Sciences, Poznań, Poland
Background. In the course of their training, students of dentistry and dental technology learn the structure of teeth and their shades. These are important parts of preclinical education.
Objectives. The aim of this study was to evaluate if the ability to identify the shades of composite fillings depends on the field of study (dentistry and dental technology) or on the sex of participants, and indirectly assess whether dental students need support during this procedure.
Material and Methods. The study involved a group of 74 students of the second year of dentistry (33 women and 19 men) and dental technology (20 women and 2 men). The students identified the shades of A1, A2, A3, C1 and C2 Herculite XRV® fillings in 5 extracted teeth.
Results. There was no statistically significant difference in the ability to identify the filling shade between the students of dentistry and the students of dental technology (p = 0.303). A difference was found in the correct identification of filling shades between men and women (p = 0.04996). The ability to correctly determine shades changed depending on the filling shade in a tooth and ranged between 13% and 82%.
Conclusion. The ability of dentistry and dental technology students to match a shade of a restoration to a shade of a tooth is affected by sex but not by the students’ field of study..
restorative dentistry, shade tabs, dental education
stomatologia zachowawcza, kolornik, edukacja stomatologiczna
- Carsten D.L.: Successful shade matching – what does it take? Compend. Contin. Educ. Dent. 2003, 24, 175–178.
- Dagg H., O’Connell B., Claffey N., Byrne D., Gorman C.: The influence of some different factors on the accuracy of shade selection. J. Oral Rehabil. 2004, 31, 900–904.
- Curd F.M., Jasinevicius T.R., Graves A., Cox V., Sadan A.: Comparison of the shade matching ability of dental students using two light sources. J. Prosthet. Dent. 2006, 96, 391–396.
- Miranda M.E.: Effect of gender, experience, and value on colour perception. Oper. Dent. 2012, 37, 228–233.
- Yilmaz B., Yuzugullu B., Cinar D., Berksun S.: Effect of shade tab arrangement on the repeatability and accuracy of shade selection. J. Prosthet. Dent. 2011, 105, 383–386.
- Davison S.P., Myslinski N.R.: Shade selection by colour vision-defective dental personnel. J. Prosthet. Dent. 1990, 63, 97–101.
- Joiner A.: Tooth colour: A review of the literature: J. Prosthet. Dent. 2004, 32, 3–12.
- Alsaleh S., Labban M., AlHariri M., Tashkandi E.: Evaluation of self shade matching ability of dental students using visual and instrumental means. J. Prosthet. Dent. 2012, 40, e82–e87.
- Gokce H.S., Piskin B., Ceyhan D., Gokce M., Arisan V.: Shade matching performance of normal and color visiondeficient dental professionals with standard daylight and tungsten illuminants. J. Prosthet. Dent. 2010, 103, 139–147.
- Schwabacher W.B., Goodkind R.J.: Three-dimensional colour coordinates of natural teeth compared with three shade guides. J. Prosthet. Dent. 1990, 64, 425–431.
- Wee A.G., Monaghan P., Johnston W.M.: Variation in colour between intended matched shade and fabricated shade of dental porcelain. J. Prosthet. Dent. 2002, 87, 657–666.
- Yap A.U.: Color attributes and accuracy of Vita-based manufacturers’ shade guides. Oper. Dent. 1998, 23, 266–271.
- Magne P., Bruzi G., Carvalho A.O., Giannini M., Maia H.P.: Evaluation of an anatomic dual-laminate composite resin shade guide. J. Dent. 2013, 41. Suppl (3), e80–86.
- Poljak-Guberina R., Celebic A., Powers J.M., Paravina R.D.: Colour discrimination of dental professionals and colour deficient laypersons. J. Dent. 2011, 39, e17– e22.
- Hammad I.A.: Intrarater repeatability of shade selections with two shade guides. J. Prosthet. Dent. 2003, 89, 50–53.
- Klemetti E., Matela A.M., Haag P., Kononen M.: Shade selection performed by novice dental professionals and colorimeter. J. Oral Rahabil. 2006, 33, 31–35.
- Wasson W., Schuman N.: Colour vision and dentistry. Quintessence Int. 1992, 23, 349–353.
- Capa N., Malkondu O., Kazazoglu E., Calikkocaoglu S.: Evaluating factors that affect the shade-matching ability of dentists, dental staff members and laypeople. J. Am. Dent. Assoc. 2010, 141, 71–76.