Dental and Medical Problems
2016, vol. 53, nr 3, July-September, p. 365–372
Publication type: original article
Effects of Pre-Etching in Class V Cavities Restored with Silorane and Methacrylate-Based Composites
Efekty wstępnego wytrawiania ubytków klasy V wypełnionych materiałami kompozytowymi na bazie siloranów i metakrylanów
1 Department of Medical-Surgery and Odontostomatologic Experimental Sciences, University of Messina, Italy
2 Department of Neurosciences, Reproductive and Odontostomatological Sciences, University of Naples “Federico II”, Italy
Background. Self-etching adhesive (SEA) systems were recently introduced to simplify the bonding procedure and were initially considered a good replacement for the etch-and-rinse adhesive system that uses orthophosphoric acid (PA) for enamel and dentin etching. Siloranes, a new class of ring opening monomers, were synthesized to overcome the problems related to polymerization shrinkage. This new type of monomer is obtained from the reaction of oxirane and silorane molecules with a volumetric shrinkage determined to be 0.99%.
Objectives. To assess the influence of preliminary phosphoric acid etching on the sealing ability of siloraneand methacrylate-based composites.
Material and Methods. Standard class V cavities were prepared on the buccal side of 48 extracted, sound, human premolars. The specimens were randomly divided in two groups: A) Silorane System®/Filtek Silorane®; B) Scotchbond Universal®/Filtek Supreme®. Each group was divided in two subgroups. A1) and B1): no preetching was performed. A2) and B2): selective, enamel pre-etching was performed. The interfacial sealing ability of the materials was evaluated by scoring the depth of methylene blue penetration through optical microscope observations. The differences in infiltration scores recorded for the tested materials were evaluated for statistical significance (Kruskal-Wallis ANOVA, Mann-Whitney U test, p < 0.05).
Results. No groups showed a “0” score, and group B2 had the lowest individual score, reaching at least a “2” score. In the silorane groups, pre-etching decreased the infiltration score but the result was not statistically significant. No statistically significant differences emerged among the tested materials except for the Bis-GMA composite restored group where the pre-etching significantly reduced the interfacial leakage (p < 0.05).
Conclusion. Selective enamel pre-etching significantly reduced the marginal infiltration in class V cavities, restored with Bis-GMA composite and a self-etching adhesive system. The low-shrinking silorane composite achieved better sealing ability.
adhesion, microleakage, acid-etching, silorane, self-etch
adhezja, mikroprzeciek, wytrawianie kwasem, silorany, samowytrawianie
- Sheets J.L., Wilcox C.W., Barkmeier W.W., Nunn M.E.: The effect of phosphoric acid pre-etching and thermocycling on self-etching adhesive enamel bonding. J. Prosthet. Dent. 2012, 107, 102–108.
- Erikson R.L., Barkmeier W.W., Latta M.A.: The role of etching in bonding to enamel: A comparison of selfetching and etch-and-rinse adhesive systems. Dent. Mat. 2009, 25, 1459–1467.
- Osorio R., Monticelli F., Moreira M.A., Osorio E., Toledano M.: Enamel-resin bond durability of self-etch and etch & rinse adhesives. Am. J. Dent. 2009, 22, 371–375.
- Hegde M.N., Hegde P., Chandra C.R.: Morphological evaluation of new total etching and self etching adhesive system interfaces with dentin. J. Conserv. Dent. 2012, 15, 151–155.
- Devarasa G.M., Subba Reddy V.V., Chaitra N.L., Swarna Y.M.: Self-Etching adhesive on intact enamel, with and without pre-etching. Microsc. Res. Tech. 2012, 75, 650–654.
- Guilherme Erhardt M.C., Assad Cavalcante L.M., Freire Pimenta L.A.: Influence of phosphoric acid pretreatment on self-etching adhesives. J. Esthet. Restor. Dent. 2004, 16, 33–41.
- Nazari A., Shimada Y., Sadr A., Tagami J.: Pre-etching vs. grinding in promotion of adhesion to intact enamel using self-etch adhesives. Dent. Mater. J. 2012, 31, 394–400.
- Ferracane J.L.: Developing a more complete understanding of stresses produced in dental composites during polymerization. Dent. Mater. 2005, 21, 36–42.
- Lo Giudice G., Lo Giudice A., Isola G., Fabiano F., Artemisia A., Fabiano V., Nucera R., Matarese G.: Evaluation of bond strength and detachment interface distribution of different bracket base designs. Acta Med. Mediterr. 2015, 31, 585–590.
- Braga R.R., Ballester R.Y., Ferracane J.L.: Factors involved in the development of polymerization shrinkage stress in resin composites: A systematic review. Dent. Mater. 2005, 21, 962–970.
- Kleverlaan C.J., Feilzer A.J.: Polymerization shrinkage and contraction stress of dental resin composites. Dent. Mater. 2005, 21, 1150–1157.
- Carvalho R.M., Pereira J.C., Yoshiyama M., Pashley D.H.: A review of polymerization contraction: The influence of stress development versus stress relief. Oper. Dent. 1996, 21, 17–24.
- Weinmann W., Thalackar C., Guggenberger E.: Siloranes in dental composites. Dent. Mater. 2005, 21, 68–74.
- Boaro L.C., Gonçalves F., Guimarães T.C., Ferracane J.L., Versluis A., Braga R.R.: Polymerization stress, shrinkage and elastic modulus of current low shrinkage restorative composites. Dent. Mater. 2010, 26, 1144–1150.
- Duarte S., Phark J.H., Varjao F.M., Sadan A.: Nanoleakage, ultramorphological characteristics, and microtensile bond strengths of a new low-shrinkage composite to dentin after artificial aging. Dent. Mater. 2009, 25, 589–600.
- Van Meerbeek B., Yoshihara K., Yoshida Y., Mine A., De Munck J., Van Landuyt K.L.: State of the art of self-etch adhesives. Dent. Mater. 2011, 27, 17–28.
- Van Meerbeek B., Van Landuyt K.L., De Munck J., Hashimoto M., Peumans M., Lambrechts P., Yoshida Y., Inoue S., Suzuki K.: Technique-sensitivity of contemporary adhesives. Dent. Mater. 2005, 21, 1–13.
- Lo Giudice G., Centofanti A., Artemisia A., Bramanti E., Militi A., Rizzo G., Favaloro A., Alessia I., Lo Giudice R., Cutroneo G.: Dentin morphology of root canal surface: A quantitative evaluation based on a scanning electronic microscopy study. BioMed. Res. Int. 2015, 1–7, ID 164065.
- Van Landuyt K., Kanumilli P., De Munck J., Peumans M., Lambrechts P., Van Meerbeek B.: Bond strength of a mild self-etch adhesive with and without prior acid-etching. J. Dent. 2006, 34, 77–85.
- Goracci C., Rengo C., Eusepi L., Juloski J., Vichi A., Ferrari M.: Influence of selective enamel etching on the bonding effectiveness of a new “all-in-one” adhesive. Am. J. Dent. 2013, 26, 99–104.
- Manhart J., Chen H.Y., Mehl A., Weber K., Hickel R.: Marginal quality and microleakage of adhesive class V restorations. J. Dent. 2001, 29, 123–130.
- Gregor L., Bortolotto T., Feilzer A.J., Krejci I.: Effect of different bonding strategies on the marginal adaptation of class 1 silorane restorations. Am. J. Dent. 2013, 26, 127–131.
- Araújo J.F., Barros T.A., Braga E.M., Loretto S.C., Silva e Souza Pde A., Silva e Souza M.H.: One-year evaluation of a simplified ethanol-wet bonding technique: A randomized clinical trial. Braz. Dent. J. 2013, 24, 267–272.
- Lo Giudice G., Lo Giudice R., Matarese G., Isola G., Cicciù M., Terranova A., Palaia G., Romeo U.: Evaluation of magnification systems in restorative dentistry: An in vitro study. Dent. Cadmos, 2015, 85, 296–305.
- Osorio R., Toledano M., de Leonardi G., Tay F.: Microleakage and interfacial morphology of self-etching adhesives in class V resin composite restorations. J. Biomed. Mater. Res. Part B. Appl. Biomater. 2003, 66, 399–409.
- Fitzgerald I., Bradley G.T., Bosio J.A., Hefti A.F., Berzins D.W.: Bonding with self-etching primers-pumice or pre-etch? An in vitro study. Eur. J. Orthod. 2012, 34, 257–261.
- Lee I.S., Son S.A., Hur B., Kwon Y.H., Park J.K.: The effect of additional etching and curing mechanism of composite resin on the dentin bond strength. J. Adv. Prosthodont. 2013, 5, 479–484.
- Ikeda M., Kurokawa H., Sunada N., Tamura Y., Takimoto M., Murayama R., Ando S., Miyazaki M.: Influence of previous acid etching on dentin bond strength of self-etch adhesives. J. Oral Sci. 2009, 51, 527–534.
- Lo Giudice G., Cicciù M., Cervino G., Lizio A., Visco A.M.: Flowable resin and marginal gap on tooth third medial cavity involving enamel and radicular cement. SEM evaluation of two restoration techniques. Indian J. Dent. Res. 2012, 23, 763–769.
- Lo Giudice G., Lipari F., Lizio A., Cervino G., Cicciù M.: Tooth fragment reattachment technique on a pluri traumatized tooth. J. Conserv. Dent. 2012, 15, 80–83.
- Krifka S., Federlin M., Hiller K.A., Schmalz G.: Microleakage of silorane and methacrylate-based class V composite restorations. Clin. Oral Investig. 2012, 16, 1117–1124.
- Ustunkol I., Yazici A.R., Gorucu J., Dayangac B.: Influence of laser etching on enamel and dentin bond strength of Silorane System Adhesive. Lasers Med. Sci. 2015, 30, 695-700.
- Poureslami H.R., Sajadi F., Sharifi M., Farzin Ebrahimi S.: Marginal microleakage of low-shrinkage composite silorane in primary teeth: An in vitro study. J. Dent. Res. Dent. Clin. Dent. Prospects 2012, 6, 94–97.