Dental and Medical Problems
2016, vol. 53, nr 1, January-March, p. 29–33
Publication type: original article
Determining the Prevalence of Carotid Artery Calcification and Associations with Medical History Using Dental Panoramic Radiographs
Ocena występowania zwapnień tętnicy szyjnej i wybranych danych z wywiadu medycznego na podstawie obrazowania pantomograficznego
1 University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
2 Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
3 Department of Maxillofacial Radiology, Qazvin University of Medical Sciences, Qazvin, Iran
Background. Early detection of carotid artery calcification on panoramic radiographs may play an important role in the prevention of cardiovascular disease.
Objectives. This study assessed the prevalence of carotid artery calcification (CAC) on digital panoramic radiographs (PRs) of Iranian population, as well as associations with medical history, age and gender.
Material and Methods. A total of 4,847 patients that attended dental radiology clinics were included in this study. After filling out the questionnaires, which included demographic information, history of cigarette smoking, and history of systemic disease related to CAC (hypertension, hyperlipidemia, diabetes mellitus, cardiovascular diseases, renal diseases), dental panoramic view radiographs were taken. The presence of CAC on all radiographs was determined by a maxillofacial radiologist and a senior dental student (trained by a maxillofacial radiologist) on the intervertebral space of C3–C4. Chi-square tests and Kruskal-Wallis tests was used to detect any significant statistical differences.
Results. CAC was observed on 373 PRs (7.7%). There was a significant difference in prevalence of CAC on PRs between patients without and with systemic disease, and smoking (p < 0.05).
Conclusion. Dentists need to refer patients for an evaluation, if nodular and linear opacity on the intervertebral space of C3–C4 on PRs were observed, especially in patients with a history of systemic disease.
systemic disease, carotid artery calcification, panoramic radiograph
choroba ogólna, zwapnienie tętnicy szyjnej, zdjęcie pantomograficzne
- Kansu O., Ozbek M., Avcu N., Gençtoy G., Kansu H., Turgan C.: The prevalence of carotid artery calcification on the panoramic radiographs of patients with renal disease. Dentomaxillofac. Radiol. 2005, 34, 16–19.
- Hubar J.S.: Carotid artery calcification in the black population: a retrospective study on panoramic radiographs. Dentomaxillofac. Radiol. 1999, 28, 348–350.
- Ohba T., Takata Y., Ansai T.: Evaluation of calcified carotid artery atheromas detected by panoramic radiograph among 80-year-olds. Oral Surg. Oral Med. Oral Pathol. Oral Radiol. Endod. 2003, 96, 647–650.
- Hosseini A.A., Sobhani-Rad D., Ghandehari K., Benamer H.T.: Frequency and clinical patterns of stroke in Iran – systematic and critical review. BMC Neurol. 2010, 23,10,72.
- Tanaka T., Morimoto Y., Ansai T.: Can the presence of carotid artery calcification on panoramic radiographs predict the risk of vascular diseases among 80-year-olds? Oral Surg. Oral Med. Oral Pathol. Oral Radiol. Endod. 2006, 101, 777–783.
- Kumagai M., Yamagishi T., Fukui N., Chiba M.: Long-term cigarette smoking increases the prevalence of carotid artery calcification seen on panoramic dental radiographs in male patients.Tohoku J. Exp. Med. 2007, 212, 21–25.
- Almog D.M., Horev T., Illig K.A., Green R.M., Carter L.C.: Correlating carotid artery stenosis detected by panoramic radiography with clinically relevant carotid artery stenosis determined by duplex ultrasound.Oral Surg. Oral Med. Oral Pathol. Oral Radiol. Endod. 2002, 94, 768–773.
- Sisman Y., Ertas E.T., Gokce C., Menku A., Ulker M., Akgunlu F.: The prevalence of carotid artery calcification on the panoramic radiographs in Cappadocia region population. Eur. J. Dent. 2007, 1, 132–138.
- Brand H.S., Mekenkamp W.C., Baart J.A.: Prevalence of carotid artery calcification on panoramic radiographs. Ned. Tijdschr Tand-heelkd. 2009, 116, 69–73.
- Pornprasertsuk-Damrongsri S., Virayavanich W., Thanakun S., Siriwongpairat P., Amaekchok P., Khovidhunkit W.: The prevalence of carotid artery calcifications detected on panoramic radiographs in patients with metabolic syndrome. Oral Surg. Oral Med. Oral Pathol. Oral Radiol. Endod. 2009, 108, e57–62.
- Christou P., Leemann B., Schimmel M., Kiliaridis S., Müller F.: Carotid artery calcification in ischemic stroke patients detected in standard dental panoramic radiographs – a preliminary study. Adv. Med. Sci. 2010, 55, 26–31.
- Masood F., Wild R.C., Jenkins J., Radfar L.: Presence of carotid artery calcification on panoramic radiographs of patients with chronic diseases. Gen. Dent. 2009, 57, 39–44, quiz 45–36, 95–36.
- Gokce C., Sisman Y., Sipahioglu M.: The prevalence of carotid artery calcification on the panoramic radiographs of end-stage renal disease patients with peritoneal dialysis: do incidental findings provide life-saving information? J. Int. Med. Res. 2008, 36, 47–53.
- Alzoman H.A., Al-Sadhan R.I., Al-Lahem Z.H., Al-Sakaker A.N., Al-Fawaz Y.F.: Prevalence of carotid calcification detected on panoramic radiographs in a Saudi population from a training institute in Central Saudi Arabia. Saudi Med. J. 2012, 33, 177–181.
- Bayer S., Helfgen E.H., Bös C., Kraus D., Enkling N., Mues S.: Prevalence of findings compatible with carotid artery calcifications on dental panoramic radiographs. Clin. Oral Investig. 2011,15, 563–569.
- Tamura T., Inui M., Nakase M., Nakamura S., Okumura K., Tagawa T.: Clinicostatistical study of carotid calcification on panoramic radiographs. Oral Dis. 2005, 11, 314–317.
- Carter L.C.: Discrimination between calcified triticeous cartilage and calcified carotid atheroma on panoramic radiography. Oral Surg. Oral Med. Oral Pathol. Oral Radiol. Endod. 2000, 90, 108–110.
- Kamikawa R.S., Pereira M.F., Fernandes A., Meurer M.I.: Study of the localization of radiopacities similar to calcified carotid atheroma by means of panoramic radiography. Oral Surg. Oral Med. Oral Pathol. Oral Radiol. Endod. 2006, 101, 374–378.
- Guerreiro da Silva Júnior N., Pedreira E.N., Tuji F.M., Warmling L.V., Ortega K.L.: Prevalence of calcified carotid artery atheromas in panoramic radiographs of HIV-positive patients undergoing antiretroviral treatment: a retrospective study. Oral Surg. Oral Med. Oral Pathol. Oral Radiol. 2014, 117, 67–74.
- Uthman A.T., Al-Saffar A.B.: Prevalence in digital panoramic radiographs of carotid area calcification among Iraqi individuals with stroke-related disease. Oral Surg. Oral Med. Oral Pathol. Oral Radiol. Endod. 2008,105, e68–73.
- Moshfeghi M., Taheri J.B., Bahemmat N., Evazzadeh M.E., Hadian H.: Relationship between carotid artery calcification detected in dental panoramic images and hypertension and myocardial infarction. Iranian J. Radiol. 2014, 11, e8714.
- Almog D.M., Illig K.A., Elad S., Romano P.R., Carter L.C.: Supplementary role of panoramic radiographs in the medical surveillance of a patient at risk for stroke. Compend. Contin Educ. Dent. 2005, 26, 369–372.