Dental and Medical Problems
2020, vol. 57, nr 1, January-March, p. 31–38
Publication type: original article
Color stability of self-adhering composite resins in different solutions
Trwałość barwy samoadhezyjnych żywic kompozytowych w różnych roztworach
1 Laser Research Center of Dentistry, Dentistry Research Institute, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Iran
2 Department of Restorative Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Iran
3 Dental Research Center, Dentistry Research Institute, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Iran
Background. The success of composite resin restorations depends to a great extent on their color stability. However, discoloration is still a problem in composite resin restorations.
Objectives. The aim of the study was to evaluate the effect of different staining solutions on the color stability of composite resins.
Material and Methods. A total of 96 composite disks, 2 mm in height and 8 mm in diameter, were fabricated of 3 commercially available composite resins. The samples were divided into 4 groups of 8 and were immersed in 4 staining solutions: coffee, tea, soda, and artificial saliva. The color parameters of the samples were measured and recorded before as well as 2, 4 and 8 weeks after immersion by spectrophotometry, using the CIELAB color space. A color change (ΔE) ≤3.3 was considered the acceptable threshold for visual perception. The results were analyzed using the one-way analysis of variance (ANOVA) and Tukey’s post hoc test (p < 0.05).
Results. All the composite resins in the study showed discoloration in all the staining solutions. The ΔE of VertiseTM Flow was the highest in the tea solution. The lowest ΔE occurred in the FiltekTM Z250 composite in artificial saliva.
Conclusion. This in vitro study showed that the color stability of tooth-colored restorations can be influenced by dietary habits.
composite resins, staining, self-adhesive, VITA Easyshade
żywice kompozytowe, barwienie, samoadhezyjny, VITA Easyshade
- de Alencar e Silva Leite ML, Sales da Cunha Medeiros e Silva FD, Saeger Meireles S, Marques Duarte R, Maciel Andrade AK. The effect of drinks on color stability and surface roughness of nanocomposites. Eur J Dent. 2014;8(3):330–336.
- Arregui M, Giner L, Ferrari M, Mercadé M. Colour stability of self-adhesive flowable composites before and after storage in water. Key Eng Mater. 2015;631:143–150.
- Dabbagh A, Bindal P, Bindal U, Ramanathan A, Ginjupalli K. Comparative effects of turmeric, coffee, and chewable tobacco on the color stability of tooth-colored restorative materials. Open J Dent Oral Med. 2015;3(3):59–67.
- Badra VV, Faraoni JJ, Ramos RP, Palma-Dibb RG. Influence of different beverages on the microhardness and surface roughness of resin composites. Oper Dent. 2015;30(2):213–219.
- Zanetti F, Zhao X, Pan J, Peitsch MC, Hoeng J, Ren Y. Effects of cigarette smoke and tobacco heating aerosol on color stability of dental enamel, dentin, and composite resin restorations. Quintessence Int. 2019;50(2):156–166.
- Gómez-Polo C, Gómez-Polo M, Celemin-Viñuela A, Martínez Vázquez De Parga JA. Differences between the human eye and the spectrophotometer in the shade matching of tooth colour. J Dent. 2014;42(6):742–745.
- Karaarslan ES, Bulbul M, Ertas E, Cebe MA, Usumez A. Assessment of changes in color and color parameters of light-cured composite resin after alternative polymerization methods. Eur J Dent. 2013;7(1):110–116.
- Choi MS, Lee YK, Lim BS, Rhee SH, Yang HC. Changes in surface characteristics of dental resin composites after polishing. J Mater Sci Mater Med. 2005;16(4):347–353.
- Uchida H, Vaidyanathan J, Viswanadhan T, Vaidyanathan TK. Color stability of dental composites as a function of shade. J Prosthet Dent. 1998;79(4):372–377.
- Correr GM, Bruschi Alonso RC, Baratto-Filho F, Correr-Sobrinho L, Coelho Sinhoreti MA, Puppin-Rontani RM. In vitro long-term degradation of aesthetic restorative materials in food-simulating media. Acta Odontol Scand. 2012;70(2):101–108.
- Bagheri R, Burrow MF, Tyas M. Influence of food-simulating solutions and surface finish on susceptibility to staining of aesthetic restorative materials. J Dent. 2005;33(5):389–398.
- Yap AU, Wee KE. Effects of cyclic temperature changes on water sorption and solubility of composite restoratives. Oper Dent. 2002;27(2):147–153.
- Villalta P, Lu H, Okte Z, Garcia-Godoy F, Powers JM. Effects of staining and bleaching on color change of dental composite resins. J Prosthet Dent. 2006;95(2):137–142.
- Habib AN El-Din Ahmed, Abdelmoniem SA, Mahmoud SA. Effect of children’s drinks on color stability of different dental composites: An in vitro study. J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2017;41(2):120–125.
- Malavasi CV, Macedo EM, Souza Kda C, Rego FG, Schneider Jochims LF, Cavalcante LM. Surface texture and optical properties of self-adhering composite materials after toothbrush abrasion. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2015;16(10):775–782.
- Reddy PS, Sunil Tejaswi KL, Shetty S, Annapoorna BM, Pujari SC, Thippeswamy HM. Effects of commonly consumed beverages on surface roughness and color stability of the nano, microhybrid and hybrid composite resins: An in vitro study. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2013;14(4):718–723.
- Domingos PAdS, Garcia PPNS, de Oliveira ALBM, Palma-Dibb RG. Composite resin color stability: Influence of light sources and immersion media. J Appl Oral Sci. 2011;19(3):204–211.
- Rezaei-Soufi L, Shirinzad M. Mirtorabi MS. Comparison of the color stability of silorane-based with methacrylate-based resin composites after accelerated artificial aging [in Persian]. J Mash Dent Sch. 2014;38(3):211–220.
- Furuse AY, Santana LOC, Rizzante FAP, et al. Delayed light activation improves color stability of dual‐cured resin cements. J Prosthodont. 2018;27(5):449–455.
- Heshmat H, Hajian M, Hoorizad Ganjkar M, Emami Arjomand M. Effect of tea on color change of silorane and methacrylate based composite resins. J Islam Dent Assoc Iran. 2013;25(3):198–202.
- Arregui M, Giner L, Ferrari M, Vallés M, Mercadé M. Six-month color change and water sorption of 9 new-generation flowable composites in 6 staining solutions. Braz Oral Res. 2016;30(1):e123.
- Gönülol N, Ertaş E, Yılmaz A, Çankaya S. Effect of thermal aging on microleakage of current flowable composite resins. J Dent Sci. 2015;10(4):376–382.
- Ertaş E, Güler AU, Yücel AC, Köprülü H, Güler E. Color stability of resin composites after immersion in different drinks. Dent Mater J. 2006;25(2):371–376.
- Beltrami R, Ceci M, De Pani G, et al. Effect of different surface finishing/polishing procedures on color stability of esthetic restorative materials: A spectrophotometric evaluation. Eur J Dent. 2018;12(1):49–56.
- Mahdisiar F, Nasoohi N, Safi M, Sahraee Y, Zavareian S. Evaluating the effect of tea solution on color stability of three dental composite (in vitro) [in Persian]. J Res Dent Sci. 2014;11(1):21–26.
- Sedrez-Porto JA, Aldrighi Münchow E, Cenci MS, Pereira-Cenci T. Translucency and color stability of resin composite and dental adhesives as modeling liquids – a one-year evaluation. Braz Oral Res. 2017;31:e54.
- Hasani-Tabatabaei M, Yassini E, Moradian S, Elmamooz N. Color stability of dental composite materials after exposure to staining solutions: A spectrophotometer analysis. J Islam Dent Assoc Iran. 2009;21(1):69–78.
- Malekipour MR, Sharafi A, Kazemi S, Khazaei S, Shirani F. Comparison of color stability of a composite resin in different color media. Dent Res J (Isfahan). 2012;9(4):441–446.
- Kaviani A, Ahmadzadeh A, Zarei M. Laboratorial comparison of color stability of resin composites after rebonding with two different adhesive materials. J Dent Med Tehran Univ Med Sci. 2013;26(1):42–47.
- Liebermann A, Roos M, Stawarczyk B. The effect of different storage media on color stability of self-adhesive composite resin cements for up to one year. Materials (Basel). 2017;10(3):300.
- Sokolowski G, Szczesio A, Bociong K, et al. Dental resin cements – the influence of water sorption on contraction stress changes and hydroscopic expansion. Materials (Basel). 2018;11(6):973.
- Nasoohi N, Hoorizad M, Torabzade Tari N. Effect of tea and coffee on color change of two types composite resins: Nanofilled and micro hybrid. J Res Dent Sci. 2011;7(4):18–22.
- Teo K, Ab-Ghani Z, Ali ZHM. Effects of polishing techniques on the staining of two nano-tooth coloured materials. Sains Malays. 2018;47(4):781–787.